My ooooollllllldddddddd.... Burton Cartel bindings are falling apart. I made the mistake of trying by budy's stiff Burton Diodes, damn they work nice. They cured some of the pain I get from riding my oooooolllllllldddddd... Burton Rulers.

Not going with the Diodes (I don't trust carbon fiber backs on the back country, certainly not the way I ride). Right now this is what I'm lusting for:

ride-el-hefe-snowboard-bindings-black.jpg

Behold, Ride 'El Hefe'...

These are supposed to be retardadly stiff, with canted beds to ease my ducked-to-hell oversize stance.

What else non-Burton-EST-crap is out there that I should consider?

dunno, but I saw a crazy looking pow board reviewed by someone up your way after a day out in Hakkoda YamaB...........Burton Stellar (I think), big wide flat nose and true swallowtail back end, restricted manufacturing for only Japan and they start at 147k........expensive but sure looked nice to ride

Better than the 'show off' thread :D

From time to time I have seen a few of the Burton Stellar at hakkoda. I guess if you possess a powder board in Japan, you will eventually find your way to Hakkoda :D

Yamabushi, a friend of mine is planning a trip to Hakkoda in early April and asked if I wanted to go. I was trying to convince him for at least mid March but he can't get the time off. What do you think about coming up in April based on your experience?

It depends. Up here in the north, around April we get an Indian summer (that's what we call them back home). It gets warm and it looks like the cold is over, but a month later it starts getting cold again. If you hit it before the warm spell you'll get powder, if you hit it well into it, I'l be on corn snow, and inbetween you may find ice.

What kind of snowboarding/skiing are you guys into? If you like to do as many runs as you can, things get fairly chewed up on the front of the mountain (the terrain accessible right off the gondola). If you head off into the yonder things get f'ing awesome in a hurry; from gnarly to mellow.

What kind of boarding/skiing are you guys into?

It depends. Up here in the north, around April we get an Indian summer (that's what we call them back home). It gets warm and it looks like the cold is over, but a month later it starts getting cold again. If you hit it before the warm spell you'll get powder, if you hit it well into it, I'l be on corn snow, and inbetween you may find ice.

What kind of snowboarding/skiing are you guys into? If you like to do as many runs as you can, things get fairly chewed up on the front of the mountain (the terrain accessible right off the gondola). If you head off into the yonder things get f'ing awesome in a hurry; from gnarly to mellow.

Thanks man,

We are both skiers...he's a telemarker. He does do A LOT of back country stuff. The one time we skied together left me thinking he might have issues in deeper powder just because of the old gear he was using but I'm not sure. Me....pretty much zero back country experience because I hate hiking but I love deep powder and can ski it....

Sorry to jump in on your thread like that..

Not gonna be the epic pow you're expecting in April to be honest. To the OP, how would diodes carbon backs be worse than anything else in the BC. It's stronger than any plastic back.

Carbon fiber is stronger in some respects, but it cracks. I have seen plenty of busted carbon first hand to know.

Plastic may not be as strong but if you hit it with a hammer (or a tree stump, rock, or another snowboard, which I have been known to do), you know is not going to crack.

Thanks man,

We are both skiers...he's a telemarker. He does do A LOT of back country stuff. The one time we skied together left me thinking he might have issues in deeper powder just because of the old gear he was using but I'm not sure. Me....pretty much zero back country experience because I hate hiking but I love deep powder and can ski it....

Sorry to jump in on your thread like that..

How long are you staying?

To get to the really good stuff you may need to hike up the ridge. I would recommend two back country trips and the rest of the time on the slack country around the gondola. For the two trips there is tashirotai, the longest run in Hakkoda, and the back bowl for a good amount of incline and because of the elevation powdery snow.

PM me a week or so before you are coming and i'll give you a full report on conditions. Chances are I'll be able to meet you guys out there but I don't know what I'm doing that far in advance.

Spark R&D make what folks say are the best splitboard bindings. The Hakkodas look like decent splitboard terrain, i.e., touring terrain, not just ridge hikes. Even on a non-split, they may save you some weight.

I'm still on pre-cap strap Burtons, so I'll not comment about regular bindings!