I am keen to see the Sapporo Snow Festival (a must do). I saw a couple of tours from Hirafu but they only leave on the afternoon or late afternoon. These tours only spend a couple of hours in Sapporo and don't seem to really give you value.

I am planning on going on the first day (Mon 6th Feb) of the festival (the start days are always the best for most big events) but really want to see it, and discover Sapporo during the day and the ice sculptures -see the sculptures during the day and the night. This is going to be my 'rest day' so make the most of it rather than just a couple of hours.

I am thinking that catching the train seems to be the best option as it is faster than the coaches/bus (less than 2.5hrs by bus) and more room to spread-out. Is also cheaper. Hyperdia is a wicked tool to link up JR trains.

What do most people do for transport to Sapporo/Snow Festival?

Is a day in Sapporo enough to walk and see everything?

Train is definitely a good way and the route is very scenic as it heads around the coast after Otaru. One day is more than enough to see all the snow and ice sculptures. Head up the Sapporo tower for a very cool view right down Odori Park where all the big sculptures are (do this at night).

The whole day was to see the whole of Sapporo and all that it has to offer. Ice sculptures shouldn't take that long and will see it during the day and definitely at night.

I like to walk as much as I can when I visit new places to absorb the local culture...to really get a feel of what it is like to live there.

My camera will be working non-stop :)

I was planning to take an organised bus day tour to Otaru for my next rest day but will probably end up taking the train instead of the bus tour. I generally prefer to do things at my own pace. 28days in the snowfields will be the longest I will have ever stayed on a snow holiday (never stayed longer than a week).

yeah walking definitely gives you the best view/impression of a new place..........but I prefer getting carried around in TAFKAT's sedan Chair, his butler is really quite strong :p

I'm heading up to Sapporo myself for the Snow Festival, really looking forward to it