Mt Granview (Minamiuonuma, Niigata) - the resort that time forgot!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mid-morning here and the clouds had cleared and the sun came out. Time to go out for a few hours, we thought, and were debating whether to go to Maiko or Ishiuchi Maruyama. But we decided to have

I'm sure the owners are grateful for your help! Actually, come to think of it, you might now be their only form of marketing!!     Now there's an idea! Let's go before it closes forever!!!!!

My Granview fans!

Not sure what this all means but I had to go to Yuzawa this morning and on the way back had a crafty look over to Mt Granview....... the bottom single lift was not moving. I repeat, not moving.

As you need to get that to get up to the main runs of this Mega Resort, I can only think it wasn't open.

Perhaps no-one turned up? It was 10am.

I would guess it usually opens until the end of March or beginning of April.

Had a look at their website, but that still says that they have 7 lifts ( :lol: ) so I don't think it's the place to get up to date info.

Definitely worth calling before you go.

Don't make the phone ring too loud though, you might wake up the girl in the office. ;)

Noooo!! :lies: Surely that can't be true!! Don't they realise that they're on the verge of acquiring true kokusai/"international skiing ground" status and a reputation that their more famous and illustrious neighbours can only dream of!?! :shifty:

Having slept on this overnight, I've come up with a cunning plan! Muika, if I kitted myself out in all my back slackcountry gear, namely a Snickers bar, whistle and the free, squeezy torchlight thing I was given last week on a tour of my local fire station, do you think I could hike up to the top??? :evilgrin:

Well Mick the course down from the resort is one of those road courses winding down. In summer it's just a road. So you could fairly easily walk up there. And walking up the slopes might just be as quick as the single lifts as well. Well, maybe not. ;)

I can't think it's really closed, there is still tons of snow. Perhaps when I went past it was just stopped temporarily or something.

Or like I said perhaps no-one turned up! :lol:

Oh dear. I just called the telephone number a few times and got the old "this number is no longer in use" message!

:doh:

SJ-David, you know anything about it? I might just drive on down there today or tomorrow and check it out, feeling a bit bored and loose-end at the moment.

Hmmm not very good news.

I went.

The bottom lift wasn't moving and the office was all shuttered up - not a soul to be found.

:(

So whether it is totally closed or just weekday closed or whaterver, don't know...... no-one to ask!

gallery_6744_19_6573.jpg

The rain only made it feel all the more miserable.

No doubt keeping things clear for the heavy construction machinery on weekdays.

Is that for the new shink station or the faster-than-hakkaisan ropeway??