Hi there, I'm a student and very much into (offpiste) snowboarding. Now I happen to be staying in Japan from December(2012)-June(2013).

I'll be studying at Kyushu university in Fukuoka. I was wondering if any of you have any advice on what is the best place to go boarding (both close/not to costly). What kinda prices i can expect and all that. Pretty much any advice is welcome on what is best to do if i want to snowboard there :)!

Hoping any of you can help me, thank you very much in advance!

Kyushu...hmmm.....Ever thought of taking up surfing?? Just kidding although Miyazaki has great surf.

I know there are a few rudimentary ski areas down there but really you are going to have to be getting up to Nagano for anything half decent. Maybe someone else can chime in but with the number of people I've seen taking overnight buses and the like from Fukuoka and Osaka to Nagano...I just suspect your options are limited.

Haha I do surf as well, didnt know i could do it there, thanks for informing me! About the snowboarding, i'm aware that i'll have to be traveling up north for some decent backcountry, i was just wondering what would be the best/nearest spot and pretty much any other good advice;) I'll be there for half a year and i don't know anything really so any advice will be helpfull! So you say nagano would be my best choice? I'll look into it!

I would suggest you re post this in the general snowtalk forum. You will get many more suggestions. Back country isn't really my thing and most of the resorts in Nagano are pretty anti-off piste so I would see what others say.