Does anyone know details on ski demo days in Niseko this year?

I'm talking about the type of demo days where a ski/board brand sets up a tent and you simply swap your skis for a few hours and have a play.

I usually test and buy skis this way when in the US, but this season I'm in Japan instead. In the market for something fatter than my current skis (105mm), but I've yet to ski a rocker, so want to test them out first.

Last year I saw a few Burton snowboard huts on two occasions in March, but never got the chance to catch a ski brand running one.

Perhaps its something that doesn't happen in Japan for skis?

On the topic, I don't understand all the 'demo rental' stuff that I keep seeing in Niseko. Anyone explain the story behind this?

Is it just a higher quality level of rental gear?

In March last year I saw a demo of this years Line Skis, so I guess it happens! Don't know details of when though I'm afraid. There was a tent and a load of demo skis set up at the bottom of the Ace Quad.

line is one of the brands im especially interested in. mr pollard really seems to know his stuff.

hope I don't have to wait until march tho

ive tried looking at a heap of resort's calendars, but no useful information yet

perhaps each tent is a bit of a travelling group of demo staff with implied permission to setup shop at each location. they just arrive whenever they get around to it.

On the topic, I don't understand all the 'demo rental' stuff that I keep seeing in Niseko. Anyone explain the story behind this?

Is it just a higher quality level of rental gear?

First of all, there is a rental company called "Demo" in the area.

Beyond that, many rental companies have two levels of rental gear. Normal level is "mid-range" or normal or regular or whatever. Upper level (powder boards, powder skis, etc.) is called "demo."

First of all, there is a rental company called "Demo" in the area.

Beyond that, many rental companies have two levels of rental gear. Normal level is "mid-range" or normal or regular or whatever. Upper level (powder boards, powder skis, etc.) is called "demo."

talk about confusing!

at least it looks like I might be able to hire some skis to test out a few options.

effectively adds 10-20% to the cost of a pair of skis tho :sadface:

I hear ya about demoing skis, that is the only way to buy. Will be doing the same over year end holiday for some powder specific skis for my quiver, but at Snowbird in Utah...

For Japan, ICI Ishii Sports has an annual new demo ski event usually held over a weekend at a ski resort in Honshu.

In Niseko, Sports Takiguchi had an event last year in March to demo the 2012 new ski models. They might have another event, but may be better to just rent some pow skis since you probably want them before spring.

@Mick Rich, to demo any of the Gentemstick boards, you need to bring your own bindings. They mount your bindings onto the board, since they do not manufacture/supply bindings. They usually have 2-3 demo events per year. I try to go to at least once a year, last one I attended was in Myoko. Alternatively, you can drop by the shop/showroom in Niseko and check out the boards there, they have them for rental as well.

In Niseko, Sports Takiguchi had an event last year in March to demo the 2012 new ski models. They might have another event, but may be better to just rent some pow skis since you probably want them before spring.

It looks like Sports Takiguchi's "new model trial" will be on 3/22 according to the Annupuri ski resort site.

The Salomon BBR Hokkaido testing tour starts tomorrow at Kiroro 3rd and 4th Dec, Nakayama Touge on the 10th and 11th Dec, then at Niseko Hanazono on the 17th and 18th Dec.

As Max point out, I think a lot of the other demo events are held later on in the year once new models are released.

@Mick Rich, to demo any of the Gentemstick boards, you need to bring your own bindings. They mount your bindings onto the board, since they do not manufacture/supply bindings. They usually have 2-3 demo events per year. I try to go to at least once a year, last one I attended was in Myoko. Alternatively, you can drop by the shop/showroom in Niseko and check out the boards there, they have them for rental as well.

Cheers Dyna! :thumbsup: