Looking for all-around advice for rippin' in Japan

I'm just sitting here day dreaming about spending a ski season in Japan. Any expert skiers or snowboarders out there want to give me some solid advice? I am looking for:

the least crowds

the deepest snow

and the sickest terrain (backcountry and/or on-resort) Japan has to offer

I realize all those things might not be found in one place, but I'd like some leads as to which resort areas are the best.

And what about work for American snowboard instructors (of which I am one)? What are the best ways to support one's powder addiction? Are there free lift passes to be had?

Anyone who wants to trade info... I'd be happy to give good tips for Colorado ski-bumming, too.

Pray for snow!

Hey there OnTheSlip,

Well for ski towns, it really seems like your main two choices are Niseko and Hakuba. Niseko, on the northern island of Hokkaido is far more remote, but is known to get more snow. I would venture to say it also has a larger foreigner population, which may make it easier to find a job instructing. I cannot comment directly on the quality of the resorts as I have not yet been there...but ask me in a few days \:\) .

Hakuba is in the Nagano pref. (where I live) a couple hours train ride from Tokyo. The snow here is great, it is centrally located, and there is a ton of variety. There are a bunch of other resorts more or less on their own scattered around Japan. Have a look at the main snowjapan.com page for more info.

I don't know how easy it's going to be for an American to find a job as an instructor. If you can, it seems unlikely they would sponsor your visa. Since Canadians, Aussies, English, NZers etc can all get working holiday visas, it leaves us at a definite disadvantage. You may need to just up and come here on a tourist visa and try to find some work. It seems like it would be considerably more difficult to arrange from home. However, I have heard of some people doing it.

Good luck!