hey all

i thinking quiet far in adavnce.... the end of this year...

have any of you worked in japanese, in any of the snowfields.... either bar work, instructing, working in a hotel???

how did you go about it? what was it like?

is it hard to find work.

I have been snowboarding for about 5 years now... only in Australia.... sooo im sure these slopes and powder are going to blow me away!

I have reasonable skills in snowboarding.... im confident I could take a beginners-to level2 class.... just gotta brush up on my boarding (it would have been a yuear by then)

what do you think?

I did hear earlier in the season that Niseko were desperate for SB instructors. I think i actually read on this forum.

i have also heard that there are similiar shortages in other countries.

This is what I blame my lack of skill on. The lack of instructors.

As for bar work... probbaly hard to come by. There isn't so much of a western style* bar scene in Japan, let alone teh ski fields.

* no, I don't mean western style bar as in a saloon with swinging doors either.

Just a thought...

Have you looked into working in the States? You can get special work visas in America for ski resorts (J1 and another special B2). I have been an instructor in Colorado for a number of years and have worked with a lot of Aussies, not only at Ski School, but also as lifties and bartenders and everything else you can imagine. You might want to look into it. There is abundant work in all resorts from the biggies like Vail to the small intimate little ski towns like Telluride or Crested Butte.

Cheers!

Yes I have thought about America and Canada... I know lots of people that have worked there and I know the pay is excellent (maily because the aussie dollar is so poor)

but I am asking about japan because i plan to On a holiday working visa from October, you can only get one once in a life time so I thought while Im there I might as well do the thing I love…..

I was thinking about getting a job in a lodge/hotel, I have heard that the Japanese like foreigners working for them because it improves there own language skills…. Is this true.

What snow field would you say is the most touristy….. may that is the way to go.