Hello

I'm heading to Hokkaido in just 2 weeks for a 16 day trip! So far I've got the first 10 days booked out (Niseko) and am trying to figure out what to do with myself that last 6 days. This is my first Japan trip so I'm unfamiliar with what else is out there. I feel like I want to leave it open and figure it out when I get there. But do you think I'll be closed out on some accommodation if I don't book in advance. I'm a backpackers/hostel type.

Thanks

--Eric

It sounds like the only really busy time is going to be during the Chinese new year (3rd week of Feb. I think). Weekends can get pretty busy at some resorts as well. Aside from that I don't think it's all that necessary. Leaving it to the last minute may mean that you wouldn't be able to find the really cheap places...

Don't get stuck in Niseko for the whole time. Definitely check out some of the many other resorts Hokkaido has to offer.

Furano is a great place with loads of culture. Kamui is only 30 mins from Asahikawa city and has a very relaxed off piste policy. Then there is also Tomamu which also a great mountain.