This question is inspired by a thread in another forum (actually, there IS another one in the world, hard to believe, I know!) about road accident statistics.

On a recent trip to Japan, we noted the almost total absence of Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) regulations (or at least absence of enforcement?) on building sites and in gardens.

Does anyone know whether the overkill of OH&S regulations we have in Australia has led to reduced accident rates in the construction industry?

What I'd want to see is a comparison of construction industry accidents now versus pre-OH&S times. I'd also like to see construction industry accident rates (per thousand workers, perhaps) in Australia and Japan.

I'll have a google shortly, but am interested in other people's take on the differences.

Ha! Very interesting question.

And the timing is impeccable. I have just read a book called 'Super Freakonomics' and it deals with the statistical analysis of behaviors (and the like). Micro-economics - and no we are not talking tax returns.

This is the kind of stuff they analyze. The answer to that specific question was not in the book....but loads of other interesting stats were. Highly recommended read.

ON TOPIC: I would assume that death and serious injury would be reduced by greater OH&S guidelines, legislation and controls. However I would also have assumed that children 2-6 restrained in child restraint devices in cars would fare better in traffic accidents than those merely belted in with the existing seatbelt. WRONG! So you never know...

Sorry, "Occupational Health & Safety". The regulations are aimed at reducing the risk of injury at work, with emphasis on the industries where machinery, heights and other dangerous equipment are commonplace.

The regulations have evolved to cover such well-known dangerous activities as unwrapping a package of copier paper.

I can see one of the reasons why things get so ridiculous. People complain and moan, sue and basically push people/companies into guidelines/rules. It has happened in the company I work for. Small company but become very popular. With that comes unreasonable people that have forced the company to have disclaimers all over the place. Sad, but true.

Mamabear - I am about to start reading freakonomics soon. Have to finish wading through 'tales from toyota-land' or whatever it is called first - total poo.

My company also has crazy disclaimers everywhere, total nonsense the lot of it. They hire lawyers to look at stuff, but you can sue the lawyer if you get sued due to their bad legal advice. The result - inevitably the lawyers insist on crazy disclaimers to cover their own ass. The lawyers dont give 2 craps if the disclaimers result in lost sales due to bad image etc.

bobby...I have not read Freakonomics - I picked up Super Freakonomics (Part TWO) at the airport bookshop for a laff on the plane and LOVED IT.

When I got home I gave it to my almost 18 yr old and told him he would love it. Statistics and stupidity - LOL!

And then he whipped out Freakonomics from his bedroom and said he got it for Christmas last year from my Aunty and thought it would be stupid because SHE bought it. I am going to get into Freakonomics after I finish my current book - 'Stuffed and Starved' which would be right up Oyuki's alley - all about the inequalities of food distribution and power in today's society. And the boy is going to read both Freakonomics.

OH&S has a lot to answer for. People hesitate before resuscitation someone on the beach because they don't have a mask ... And all these rules just make it easier for people to exploit the system even more. I can't tell you the number of FAKE insurance claims that have been made by our staff over the last 15 years - and despite our protests the insurance companies pay out because it is easier. The rules and guidelines don't do a lot to keep people safe, but they give a lot of ammo for the unscrupulous to fire at the unsuspecting.

JA- A comparison between Aus and Japan would be a fair one but a comparison between Aus and China would be more interesting.

Years ago I used to just carry tools onto the job, now I also have a briefcase full of OH&S stuff. In fact with some jobs it takes longer to do the paper work than the actual job.

Drives me nuts veryangry

To the foreign eye, it must seem like there is little or no enforcement in Japan.

We've had a house built and 50-foot trees chopped down and seen it first hand. For the house, we were allowed onsite during the build for meetings with no helmets and our two year old running around not far from some pretty dangerous tools and machinery. The forester who cut the trees wore tabi (soft plimsolls-cum-leggings) and toppled some of the trees onto one another. Like the house though, it speeded things up and I guess made things cheaper. Any safety shortcuts were not taken at our behest.

They cut the pine trees along a walkway near work every 6 months using these enormous chainsaws. The 6 or so guys there just leave these chainsaws plugged in and lying in the middle of the path while dozens of commuters and school kids cycle/walk past. It really beggars belief, but perhaps you can also appreciate the naivity.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
To the foreign eye, it must seem like there is little or no enforcement in Japan.

We've had a house built and 50-foot trees chopped down and seen it first hand. For the house, we were allowed onsite during the build for meetings with no helmets and our two year old running around not far from some pretty dangerous tools and machinery. The forester who cut the trees wore tabi (soft plimsolls-cum-leggings) and toppled some of the trees onto one another. Like the house though, it speeded things up and I guess made things cheaper. Any safety shortcuts were not taken at our behest.

always wondered about those Ninja-like shoes. No steel toe caps etc, would be pretty painful if something fell on your toes when you were wearing them, BUT Ninja's were hard muthafooka's SO I guess they would've been called rude names had they had steel toe caps installed