Um...standard binding screws don't fit new Salomon board

I got a Salomon Fastback off the Net from a New Hampshire store.

It was a great deal...except that binding screws don't fit into the insert screw holes.

The holes seem too small. Or maybe the thread pitch is wrong...or the threads aren't properly cut...weird. Loctite is not the issue either: the screws won't even start in the holes.

Snowboard binding screws are all a standard size. But just to be sure, I tried screws from a Salomon binding, a Burton binding, a Flow binding and even Palmer PowerLinks...no go.

I thought maybe I'd bought a counterfeit board.

My sis got a Salomon Ivy off the Net from an Arizona store a couple weeks ago. So last night I went over to her place to check it out...and it was the same problem all over again: binding screws don't fit into the insert holes.

Could these boards BOTH be counterfeit?, I thought. They sure SEEM like the real deal, right down to having all the usual stickers/papers and fine details like die-cut graphics, a textured base, etc.

They even had "Salomon Quality Control" stickers on them. (Ha ha.)

This afternoon I went up to a local Salomon dealer here in Michigan. I tried my binding screw in one of their Salomon Ivy boards...same problem: screws don't fit the holes.

Eventually I had the whole floor staff trying to put screws into my Fastback, into their Ivy, into my sister's Ivy...all without success.

It doesn't seem to be a case of counterfeit boards.

The dealer's calling its Salomon rep tomorrow to see if he knows anything about this problem. I'll post the eventual outcome, in case anyone's interested.

Has anyone else had this problem? Seems like maybe Salomon used poor quality or defective inserts in a number of boards. If this is a production defect, there have to be more than these 3 boards--one each from New Hampshire, Arizona and Michigan.

Wot's uh the deal?

Weird.

Man that is weird.

I've got a mate who rides a Saloman board. I don't know of any probs, but i'll ask him next time i talk to him. Probably this evening.

It is very odd though. I'd like to hear the outcome BM.

Keep us posted!

Interesting - keep us updated. All my boards have had standard screws, but I remember Ride boards used to come with stickers on them telling you to only use a particular sized screw. Was that just to be sure or did they actually use a different size? Were you able to find any new Solomons that worked?

I'm already on a Salomon 550, and it takes any standard screws no problem. They just go right in, as they should.

I have screws from Salomon bindings too...they won't go in my new Salomon board.

Pretty screwy, eh?

I can't wait to find out why this happened. I'll post the result for those who are interested.

What galls me the most is the brazen "Salomon Quality Control" sticker on the board.

It would seem to me that even the most basic quality check would be to see if the damn screw inserts are the right ones...sheesh.

This chick i work with is currently on a Ride board and hasn't had any probs with the screw size. I'd say it's just to cover themselves. But then it would be a bit stupid because i'd say it would scare some people off. Especially those who don't know a hell of a lot about the technical side of boards - screw sizes and the like.

Still haven't spoken to the other guy yet, but will post when i do.

10 ten bowling? Is that different than what I think of when I think of going bowling (for real I mean)? Going to the ol' bowling alley. Renting some ugly shoes. Hurling the bowling ball down the lane at the pins. Scoring in the mid 70s.

The local shop called the official Salomon rep, and here was the rep's response:

"Yes, this year many customers thought it was tricky getting screws into the holes. The holes in the board's topsheet are very slightly smaller than the screw inserts beneath. So you have to carefully push the screw through the topsheet hole to get to the insert threads beneath. Using a beefy, large handled Phillips-head screwdriver, put the screw exactly over the hole, make sure it is perfectly straight, then push straight down hard. Then start turning. The screw should catch in the threads..."

After hearing this, the guy at the shop tried it.

He said it took him about five minutes, but he finally got in one screw. It is really tricky, because you have to exert considerable downward pressure and don't know whether or not the screw is cross-threaded. But it can be done.

The upshot: my board is like a tight young virgin.

Matter resolved.

I don't think it is intentional, and it doesn't sound like a good thing.

You are forcing things and that is scary on a new board. You don't know if the screw is perfectly straight and seated properly in the threads, yet you have to bear down with considerable force to get through the topsheet.

Also, you slip and miss a few times and make a lot of scratches in the topsheet. I'll be covering the whole area with duct tape before doing any more of this tricky work.

Finally--and worst of all--I wonder if forcibly screwing through the topsheet will gradually lift the topsheet away from the inserts, resulting in a small circle of topsheet delamination around the screw hole?

I wouldn't expect such a small delam to affect the seating or hold of the inserts in the board's core. But over time it might allow water to leak in under the topsheet, and progressively delam a larger area under the bindings.

I guess I'll find that out next season.

I'll probably use a mini burr file to carefully weaken or remove the portion of topsheet that occludes the metal screw hole inserts.

I should not have to go through this to mount the bindings. Even if it takes only 10 minutes per screw, that is 80 minutes to do something that should be a 5-minute job, doable on slope or with beer in hand.

I assume that once the screws have made it through the topsheet, future adjustments or binding switches will be quick and easy, as the topsheet will have been pushed or crushed out of the way of the insert holes.

Does anybody else think this is a fine example of crappy quality control?

It is indeed a fine example of crappy quality control. It really suprises me actually. If it was their whole range of boards this year i'm curious as to why it didn't come up earlier. I mean i'm suprised no one else seemed to have a problem. Maybe it was just a certain number of boards manufactured at a similar time? Eh who knows!

Another example of fine crappy quality control. I was up at my ladies brothers board shop the other day and he got a phone call from this dude at a newish clothing company called "Groovstar". Anyway, on every single one of their jackets they forgot to double stitch and seal the seals as it where. Bloody dodgey. I'd say that will cripple the company as i believe this is their first year. They now have to pay for every distributor to send all their goods back. Then they have to make brand new jackets.

Good old quality control!

So if you go to the trouble of getting the screws in, is it easier a second time or to make adjustments?

If screwing in to the board damages or de-lams it, you should definitely take it up with them. They need to be working very hard to rectify this problem if it is affecting a large number of their boards.

Sounds like a completely unnecessary head ache and reason enough to steer clear of Salomon boards this year.

Threading through the topsheet would seem to facilitate delamming, so I am going to carefully enlarge the topsheet holes by the very tiny amount that they occlude the inserts.

I have to do it in such a way that I do not void the warranty. I think I can do it so it looks like nothing was done at all.

The warranty lasts until the end of next April so I will have a whole season to monitor any topsheet changes.

Salomon is very good about warranty. I've seen many a thread on other message boards about how Salomon handles delams by giving you a brand-new next-year model of the same board.

Salomon boards ride so incredibly well, I would certainly buy another in an instant. Now that I know a simple solution to getting the board up and running OK, I am happy again.

Now that's loyalty. I wonder if they would sponsor me?

\:D

There are a lot of great boards out there that ride really well without any "simple" modification to attach your bindings. Salomon is good about warrantees (as are many snowboard companies), but I am just saying I think that kind of lack of attention to detail is inexcusable.

Yeah, I guess you're right. It is an amazingly stupid problem on an expensive, high-end board from a famous maker.

At this point though I have to either fix it myself, or pay $50 shipping fees to send it back to the shop or to Salomon for warranty service...so I am going to learn to live with it.

As for other boards, I wish I had a collection of them!

But which ones? Without demoing them one just doesn't know where to drop one's hundreds of dollars...

I don't know anybody who rides like me except hardbooters/freecarvers on their occasional soft boot day. So I am looking at what they are riding and hoping to demo some of it next season!

I want to try a Donek or Prior. I bet their topsheet holes always match the inserts.

:p

So i went bowling yesterday and had a chat to my mate about it. He got his Saloman a couple of years ago and had no probs with the screws. But, about half way through the season he noticed that the base of the board had ding like tihngs in it where the screws where. It got really bad and he complained about it to them and they sent him a brand new next model board. He was stoked, but really these thigns shouldn't happen in the first place. So good on 'em for honouring their waranty but the screw size issue is pretty dodgy for a big well known company.

Another one of my mates just got a Prior, not sure which one though. He's like you BM, he likes going fast. I'll let you kow how he goes once the season gets under way!