I have a pair of ladies Vans with a single boa lacing system that I love - been totally reliable - and are nearly 2 years old.

We bought 3 more pairs of BOA lacing boots in London end Dec/early Jan for the kids (YAY - no more doing laces up for me!!)

However the 15yr olds (he did his own laces before BTW) are the twin BOA system (also Vans) and have been horrid. One of the BOA's sticks all the time - you can do it up, but under tension you cant undo it. According to the guys in the board shop (where he went a few times to get his foot freed) it is a faulty BOA.

Now silly me has forgotten about this issue until NOW doh And we have just a few weeks to get the problem sorted before he heads off to Wanaka with school (where we cant help him if it causes ongoing problems).

I have contacted Vans Australia and am waiting on a reply from them, as to what to do to expidite a solution.

But I thought I would throw it out there to pool of knowledge that is SJ.

Anyone have similar problems with a faulty BOA wheel?

How did you fix it?

Can it be fixed at home (buy a part and play mechanic..)?

Any suggestions?

TIA

I had a problem with that on the side reel (lower zone) on my DC Allegiance boots. What I discovered when I took the assembly apart was the cable had wound unevenly and overlapped itself in such a way as it became bound and stuck. If you've used a line trimmer ("weed eater"-type lawn trimmer), you probably have experienced something similar when the line is loaded with a reverse twist.

How I fixed this was by disassembling the BOA unit and undoing the two setscrews that hold the cable into the bobbin, allowing the twist in the cable to release, and reinstalling the cable and reassembling the BOA unit. I think you will need a small Phillips screwdriver and 1.5mm or 2mm hex key (I forget which). I also waxed the cables so they would slide easily through the guides since everything was apart. I only had the issue with one of the BOA units, and only once when brand new. After relieving the cable twist, it hasn't done it since.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Ez!

That is sorta what they did at the board shop - without wax. But it happened again.

What kind of wax did you use?

I will give it a shot.

Cheers.

Vans are great ! I have a BFB and since me and my girl wear the same size for everything it was time to give her one for Xmas. Her BOA works like a dream and we hope we'll have no probs in the future. What a bummer, ma'bear I hope it get's rectified soon.

I think Ezoritsu's solution is great if you know what you are doing and it works. I hope the Van service doesn't hassle you when you try to fix it up by yourself...

Let us know how it goes. Interesting subject indeed about fixing BOA. I wonder it is common?

Well for us it is 1/4...

Four pairs of BOA boots and only one epic fail wink - so I would still be recommending them. Mine - as I said are almost 2 years old and they have seen some pretty reasonable use - and are still going strong. I am almost waiting on a line break though now, they are getting on. But I think the laces are easily replaced if they break - it is just the wheel that I am having problems with - and I sure dont want to have to replace my boots now they have got comfortable!!

My one regret is not buying the BOA Turbo Speed Wheel (see below) when I saw one in a shop along Yasakuni Dori - never seen one since. Might have to pick one up in December wink

boaspdwl-xl.jpg

You can probably just run the cable over some all-temp snowboard base wax or beeswax, but the exact product I used was a krytox-based synthetic wax MTB chain lubricant . It has an alcohol carrier, so once it flows in and the carrier evaporates, all that is left is the wax.

You might try the "untwist" thing again - I'm thinking that on new cables, as they stretch in during break in, they may also be progressively twisting. Maybe also try popping the side release knob then pulling the cable all the way out with your finger (might want to use gloves so the cable doesn't cut your hand), tighten, and repeat a couple of times to ensure the cable is winding up nicely on the bobbin.

Like I said, I had the problem once, but my mate just got some Ride boots this past season and had the problem chronically on both sides. He didn't try thoroughly assessing the issue yet though, so I think therein lies the cause of the repetitive nature of his problem.

Hope it helps!

Another thing I was thinking was that pulling the cable all the way out and "training" the cables to take a proper "set" helps them wind up nicely. I think there is a tendancy for new cables - which naturally want to sit straight - to unwind and turn into a nasty tangled "bird's nest" when the knob is pulled and the tension goes away.