My Japanese friends were talking about this last night.

Years ago many skijos charged 1000 yen for parking - even on weekdays - and now many of them are free even on weekends and holidays, though some still hold out on charging 1000 yen.

Of course the quality of the place will matter but generally if you were going to, say, Yuzawa for the day and you had the choice of a resort that charges 1000 yen and one that is free, will the free parking one generally win out? Are the ones who charge losing out on lots of people who would otherwise go, or just getting more cash than the ones who don't charge.

My Japanese friends were split between "I want to go THERE whether it's free parking or not" and "I don't want to pay for parking, so I'm not going there".

Does for me, though I usually go weekdays and many places now only charge at weekends and in a place like Yuzawa/Minamiuonuma there is a lot of choice.

Places that charge at weekends (as far as I know):

Naeba

Iwappara

Gala Yuzawa

Ishiuchi Maruyama

Joetsu Kokusai.

Some places are puzzling. Joetsu Kokusai charges for most of it's car parks on weekends - 1000 yen - but one of the car parks, Atema, is free. There's nothing wrong with it, in fact I prefer parking there as it's not as crowded.