can anybody shed some light on the jr pass?? im being told on the website that u can only buy it when your out of the country. But friends of mine say it better to wait till your in japan to buy one because its cheaper??

As far as I am aware (from when I've bought em in the past) you have to buy them when abroad as they're only available to people resident in another country (Japanese can buy them if they're resident in another country). Also they're priced in Yen (and fixed) and they are not for sale any where cheaper.

Some further research:

"A JAPAN RAIL PASS cannot be purchased inside Japan." From JR website. Useful link: JR Rail Pass

Trust the website! Fact is there are some that cannot be bought "in-country" and others that can. Read the site closely and work out what you want and the rules for it.

Start here

and, if you scroll down you'll find ...

Quote:
Unlike the Japan Rail Pass which can only be purchased outside of Japan, the regional rail passes can all be purchased within Japan as well as overseas, ...

Depending on exactly where you want to go, it may be possible to get the pass you want in Japan. If you cross the border of a region, however, you might need an "all japan" pass, and that can only be purchased while outside of Japan. (We've just sent off our payment for our "all Japan" 7 day pass for our January trip.