Sorry if this question ia already answered, can't get the hang of the search. Are there atms in Furano which take a foreign card or a post office available? Is it possible to cahnge foreign (Aussie) dollars? Was in Shiga Kogen last year and found nothing so want to be prepared for this trip. Thanks in advance.

I have never taken the chance on exchange in Japan. Always take plenty of yen with me. A credit card for emergencies. Didn't need the card in Furano last season, except for some restaurants.

As I heard it, the PO and 7/11 will have ATMs with english instructions and will allow the use of foreign cards with Cirrus markings. Others will have better/more recent info. My advice - change to yen before you go.

Hi I agree with JA just take the cash with you to be safe and if you find somewhere you can change it BONUS. Nothing worse than getting there and then finding out you can't change or use your card anywhere.

No big deal take what you think you will need plus a little more. It's not like you can't change it back it you take to much.

Hi Liketoski,

What place are you staying at? Considering most of the ski accomodation (with the exception of about 3 or 4 places) are located in the Kitanomine area, I'd say your best bet would be the 7-11 on the main road up from the town.

From the gondola its about 5-10mins walk. (this depends on shoes and if you are pushing people into the snow banks on the side of the road. :p) Provided you have a card with "Plus: or "Sirus" on it (most major banks have it on the back of theirs), you can withdraw Yen straight from your bank account in Australia. We found this the easiest method when we were there at the start of the year.

rollabout I had a nice little suprise on the weekend when I was checking passport etc, Found $1000 AU in yen YIPEE!!

I must have already decided on the plane flight home I was going again.

As it gets closer I am already trying to figure how I can save up for a 2010 season.