Where to? Newbie to Japan and Newbie to forums

we are heading back to Niseko this year with our 2 girls (8 and 10), this will be our 3rd year in a row, and it gets my vote for good family resort.

Have stayed at hotels (Park hotel and Alpen Hotel), both are ski in-ski out and have inhouse onsens. Breakfast is included, but we ate out every night and the kids always found something to eat (2 very fussy girls).

Mountain provides lots of terrain for the kids and the +1 (long wide groomers), as well as stuff for me!! Night skiing every night when the kids were inside.

A word of warning though, it is very cold, esp for the little ones, so good gear is a must.

Good luck

Steph,

Be aware that some of the posters on here are, how shall we say it, biased?? towards their particular "home" mountain/resort.

As an Aussie with 3 trips to Japow (and another in the 'planning & paying for' stages as we type) I can say for sure that you will not be disappointed no matter where you end up. Two years ago, we went to Niseko for 10 days as a couple and had an absolute ball. One year ago we convinced a couple of mates to come with us and had even more fun. Earlier this year we did 10 days at Furano and had just as much fun in a different resort. Next January, we are heading for Nozawa Onsen for yet another different experience, and we cannot wait!!!

My point, I guess, is that you will have no end of fun, learn a bit about a truly gentle and polite culture (ignoring WW2 for a while!) and will, hopefully, be as smitten with the place that you'll go back again and again.

Welcome, and feel free to ask for help about anything you are unsure of. Everyone here will be as helpful as you could hope for. As a local (to you) I would be happy to help in any way I can. You'll have to ask for (or wait until you have 20 posts for) Private Message access.

Hey JA,

I love Tamworth, spent much time there, my brother had a dairy there for a long time, couple hundred acres of God's country along the river and amongst the hills.... but I do love skiing more and I'm so looking forward to our 1st overseas ski trip. It's taken this long to work up the courage to travel abroad with 3 kids.... laziness I guess you could say, but its always been so easy to pack the 4wd, drive to Perisher, kids in the back and 3 DVDs later we're there!

I'll let you know how we go.... if I can find you here again.

Thanks to you and everyone for offer of help.

Originally Posted By: Stephanie
We have our own gear for Aussie conditions so I expected to be in for the cost of extra warmers.

Yes it is cold. It snows...a lot. It has to be cold, but I did not find it too much worse than mid winter Aussie conditions as far as cold goes. The reasons I suppose were it was mostly less windy, and the snow was dry and powdery rather than very wet and slushy - hence drier clothes.

I do have wool icebreakers - they did the trick.
I felt for my littlest though - he was in polyprop thermals (no woolies in his size that I could find)so we had to layer his quite a bit.

Worst bits were on the lifts (buffs or neckwarmers or face masks help there), for frosty days the little chemical heater packs help, and they are fabulous for helping with frozen toes - as boots are often covered in snow from top to bottom(of the run not just the boots) THEY can get quite cold.

We are big fans of helmets - and with a buff to control the hair and line the helmet, then the helmet we did not lose a lot of heat through our heads.

If all else fails and you are just really feeling it - stop in to a nice warm resturant and get yourself a toasty hot cuppa hot choco! thumbsup