Any other divers here?

I lost my PADI card when I moved to Japan. Oh joy! PADI has me on their database (qualified Jan 1990), and my replacement has arrived. Woo Hoo.

Most of my diving has been off Rottnest Island. I managed a couple of days on the Barrier Reef when I should have been at a Cairns convention. (That was an epic trip. I did some fieldwork at Cannington, so I needed tropical kit, diving so I needed mask and snorkel, and travelled back via Canberra, so I needed my ski gear too).

Now it's all set. Two weeks in Bali, come November. Bring it on thumbsup

Never got certified, but I did everything in the PADI course as an interpreter....always the way! Lots of useless knowledge gain along the way and no paperwork to show for it! LOL But I do LOVE my job!!

Originally Posted By: bobby12
gili is beautiful.

I got my advanced OW in egypt in 1998, cant imagine much better diving than in the red sea.

try the Coral Sea. evilgrin

4 days, 4 dives - simply outstanding.

Holmes Reef

these are not my photos, but this was the same boat and the very same reef I had the pleasure of diving at an earlier time. If you ever get to Cairns - take a four day dive trip out inot the coral sea - you will not regret it.

Nice one SG. How big were those sharks? I always like to give 2 metre-long things plenty of personal space, especially when they have teeth and/or barbs.

Stating the bleeding obvious, it's a different world. I love flying through 3-dimensions.

gili is beautiful.

I got my advanced OW in egypt in 1998, cant imagine much better diving than in the red sea.

Yep, the Red Sea is pretty impressive, did you do it at Shamel Shek? I've dived the Great Barrier reef a few times but I've never had the water clarity of the Red Sea. It was a bit devoid of fish life though.
Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Nice one SG. How big were those sharks? I always like to give 2 metre-long things plenty of personal space, especially when they have teeth and/or barbs.

they were mostly white tip and silver tip reef sharks and few nurse sharks, one of the Tawny grey nurse sharks was well over 3 meters long.
We did one shark feed dive at a spot called "predators playground" where they used a pulley system to a set bouy with meat tied to skewers for the sharks to eat and we the divers sat/kneeled together on the bottom 20m away, the water was only 9m deep so we had a long dive: 51mins!(just checked my dive log) - I remember starting to get pretty cold though.
The week before we went, a 4m+ hammerhead came investigating and naturally everyone got out of the water fairly quickly.
The dive leader said he was packing himself, it was the first time to have such a visitor.
Only that dive boat use that spot and once a week at most, but all the sharks know about it.

There was also a night dive, which was awesome - so spooky seeing the beams of lights, like the movie Abyss style.
Speaking of which there was a wall dive called the "abyss"
The wall went down vertically into the inky darkness below.

Great trip, way out in the ocean, 100's of Km's from land so the water vis was just awesome and the reef was pristine.

diving is such an amazing activity.
Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Any other divers here?

I lost my PADI card when I moved to Japan. Oh joy! PADI has me on their database

PADI, I got my ticket with SSI, they reckoned PADI stood for
Pay Another Dollar Immediately
wink1.gif

TBH though it doesn't really matter where you get it, just as long as you get it!
Originally Posted By: SG
gili is beautiful.

try the Coral Sea. evilgrin

4 days, 4 dives - simply outstanding.

Holmes Reef

these are not my photos, but this was the same boat and the very same reef I had the pleasure of diving at an earlier time. If you ever get to Cairns - take a four day dive trip out inot the coral sea - you will not regret it.

I did an introductory dive on a boat from Airlie Beach, we went 10-12 metres down and I was blown away!! It was beautiful down there