Hello

I noticed Mini Me Tarzan calling some members Uncle and Aunt on the other post and was wondering about it. Is Uncle and Aunt real relation usually, but we can use it also for friend meaning?

Thank you!

Hello Aunty I'm Sexy.

My Grandma told me that it's polite for children to say Aunty or Uncle (and the given, not family name) for family friends. I call some of my mum's friends Aunty or Uncle something and others just by their given name. My mum said it's not as common in her generation as it was in my Grandma's.

I am a very polite toddler though so I have decided to call everyone here my snow Aunts and Uncles.

We had lots of "Aunties" and "Uncles" growing up. It allowed for familiarity of using a persons first name (rather than the more formal Mr and Mrs), but still with the distinction of respect.

However it happens less and less these days.

I prefer to be called by my first name by all - kids included. I had one mother really tell me off for allowing her child to call me by my first name a couple of years ago. The child was 10.

I told her that I would make sure that my son respected her wish to be called "Mrs....", but that I was actually more comfortable being called Michelle (yes thats my real name!). She went ballistic! But I was not asking her to accept my son calling her by a name she was uncomfortable with - in what world does she have the right to insist I was called "Mrs>...." - that just sounds too much like my Mother-in-Law.

I like the Aunty thing - and I am a 'fake' Aunty to a few kids. But for me I find the respect in the tone of the voice rather than the words. This woman who insisted on being "Mrs ..." seemed to be demanding respect rather than commanding it, if you understand my meaning.

Confused yet?

Its funny that even now when I talk about or to my mum and dad's old friends that we used to call aunty and uncle, I still wanna say it!! I have to concentrate NOT to say it!!