I got the Flu Immunisation for the first time in my life yesterday and was wondering how many other people have had it or regularly get it.

It is a big year for our family this year, particularly with #1 son doing his leaving exams, so we thought it worth the whole family getting the jab to protect him. He is also severely asthmatic, so if he did get the flu - it would be ugly.

I also had a few myths cleared up for me at the Doc's.

1. You can't have the Flu Vacc if you are sick.

Yes you can. It is only a problem if you have a high fever. The two eldest boys had a cold and were still OK for immunisation.

2. If you get the Flu Vacc you get a small dose of the flu and are sick for a while.

Not true. Even if the flu virus injected into you was live (and it is not) it has a 3 week incubation period and you would only show symptoms after 3 weeks! If you get sick the day after, or few days after the flu jab you were coming down with it anyway! Nothing to do with the immunisation.

So....anybody else?

What about the PneumoVacc...I have not had it...but Papabear did about 5 yrs ago (after 3 bouts of pneumonia) and has not had it since.

I get one every year these days when the kids get theirs - our pediatrician is top bloke and does them at pretty much cost price.

Haven't had the flu since the 90's regardless of a flu shot ( touch wood).

My company back home used to pay for flu-shot for everyone, cant imagine too many tightass companies here doing that.

Interesting SG!

I was stunned when we went down to the Doc's, as the surgery where we go charge like wounded bulls...they hit you for everything. But my Doc is fantastic - I think he is a complete gem, down to earth, good sense of humour and knows his stuff. Anyhow - I expected to pay a fortune....

...............................nup!

All I had to do was sign a medicare slip for all of us, covered the consult, some repeat scripts for the boys acnes meds, papabears ulcer antibiotics, and checking the health of the 2 older ones before they got jabbed. NO idea why I didn't do it before!!