Vista users - beware of Windows updates

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
I just do not accept that there is such a risk.

Fine, NMFP (not my problem), then! wakaranai.gif

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Perhaps I'm being naive, or perhaps you are just being over-cautious through a hatred of anything Microsoft. I take care of my computer and update all my security stuff often. I'm not unduly concerned about my online security.

Guess you've never heard of a "zero day" attack, then. This is when the virus writers use the fact that ALL security is reactive, by definition, and use the window of opportunity thus created between the release and the detection/defeat of the virus to wreak as much havoc as possible.

I have no "hatred" of everything Microsoft, I have been using MS op systems since MS-DOS 2.0, just a healthy cynicism. But I do understand the potential.

You probably just delete emails after they have been downloaded, too. The mere fact of having some of them on your system is enough to allow them to do their cr@p work. I use MailWasher to bounce emails after I have read the headers (only!) and determined whether I want to read the mail or not.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Guess you've never heard of a "zero day" attack, then

Heard of it, but it has never affected me or anyone I know.... we must have been one of the lucky ones when that happens. I didn't hear about the billions of people living life in misery because of it though.

;\)

Quote:
You probably just delete emails after they have been downloaded, too.

No, I use Mailwasher. Good little piece of software that!

Sorry, your earlier post made me think you were quite blase about security.

Cheers.

Well, I said that I take care of my computer and update all my security stuff often - meaning that I am not I'm not lying awake worried about online security.

You obviously care about this browser thing way more than I do. That's fine.

\:\)