Flying to Japan from Australia

Shame Unagi nigiri - there used to be direct Qantas flights from Cairns to Sapporo Shin Chitose, but those have not been offered this season (not that it affects me all the way over here in Perth!).

We have used Qantas (to Tokyo) and JAL (Tokyo to Hokkaido) - no probs. Qantas plane was pretty tacky and not well maintained but the direct Perth Tokyo overnighter was brilliant!

Also used Cathay Pacific through HK to Shin Chitose - great service!

Never flown Jetstar.

There is a qantas/jal code share flight that does the brivegas - cairns - tokyo route. That might be a move for you, unagi nigiri.

Last month (was it only that long ago??) we flew Bris-tokyo qantas/jal. Overnighted Tokyo then ANA to shin chitose. Same deal return, but the tokyo-bris flight was an overnighter - leave 9pm arrive 7.30am (local). Made for an easy drive home.

From chitose, we did a bit of train tripping around sapporo/otaru etc and then to Asahikawa and on to Furano. The coach trip Furano-Chitose was a bit of a bitch, 5 hours! still, we made it and cannot wait to get back! Accom booked already!

The worst part of the Aus-Tokyo-Soporro deal is the airport transfers. Narita (international) and Haneda (domestic) are on opposite sides of the city. There is however one flight per day that goes from Narita to Soporro. lucky if you can get on that though.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
The worst part of the Aus-Tokyo-Soporro deal is the airport transfers. Narita (international) and Haneda (domestic) are on opposite sides of the city. There is however one flight per day that goes from Narita to Soporro. lucky if you can get on that though.

If you can't get the one flight per day that leaves from Narita then the Airport limousine to get to Haneda is the way to go.

However for my preference I would book a couple of days in Tokyo either side. Send the snowboard bags on ahead with the baggage delivery to the accomodation in the snow - and hang in Tokyo a few days. Same on the way back - get the luggage collected from the accomodation apart from what I needed for the few days in Tokyo and go enjoy some big city stuff on the way back. Takes the stress out of it for me.

hmmmm...

My travel agent told me the same as Mantas... ONE.

I wonder if that is "ONE" as in "..one flight that we will book you on, because it is codeshare and if we book you on the other one we will not get as much profit..." lol.gif

Schemers!

Mama,

That's what we did. Booked the ski gear and clothes (all in one case each couple plus the skis) by Takkyubin from Narita airport. That left us with a small case and the carry-on to live out of while we tripped around. Ski gear was at the accom when we arrived.

It would be helpful, though, if you could get the address of the accom in Kanji so the Takkyubin guy doesn't have to look it up. Same with the addy of Tokyo accom.

We stayed in a small ryokan in Asakusa. Cab driver had to ring them to find out how to get there since the only address we had was in English. Woulda been better had we been able to get the address such that the cabby could read it. Point to be remembered next trip!

Hee hee

Got my own Translator and Interpreter! The boy! Paid for his education - now he is earning his keep!!!

We found we needed addresses in Japanese for the cabbies as well - we needed two cabs for our huge family every time so the boy had to nut out the request then teach me, then he went in one cab with Dad and Bro and I went in the other with the youngest two. It was way easier when he wrote it down and I handed it over....my accuracy left a lot to be desired!

I have the Pimsleur CDs (first 60 lessons) and we are working through them one per weekend. They will be good so long as the other party - the local - realises their part of the script. If the locals depart from the expected conversation line, we will be well and truly stuffed!

I also have the Heisig "Rembering the Kana" and "Remembering the Kanji" books and am working through them. If I can master these, I will be OK next January! (Says he, with total belief in his ability!)

Still, what is a trip to Japan without resort to the "universal pointing language" and halting japanese/english??

Originally Posted By: JA
Still, what is a trip to Japan without resort to the "universal pointing language" and halting japanese/english??

And thats where *I* come in!
As a Deaf Sign Language interpreter I kick butt at charades! (well I am banned from playing actually...) I reckon I could pretty much go anywhere and find out anything given time, patience and great theatrics! clap.gif

Hee hee.

Common question and common assumptions.

No Sign Language is not universal. Australian Sign Language is similar to British Sign Language because that is the origin, and ASL (Americal Sign Language) is similar to French Sign Language because of the French being the ones to bring sign to the US. But they all developed independently as languages, in some cases vastly different signs, in others slight differences - like an accent or dialect.

However! Sign Language is a visual langauge and is quite iconic - the words being 'spoken' on the hands often visually resemble the item. Signers are used to reading body language, all sign languages have naturally developed similar grammatical rules, and we are not inhibited about using our bodies to communicate.

So...signers from different countrys have a MUCH better ability to communicate with each other than people using that countries spoken languages. And we can get by with very clear mime/iconic gestures when we are trying to make ourselves understood by non signing foreign language speaking people.

Thats it for Deaf Sign 101 today people...LOL

(And yes - I know you ALL want to know....-the first words I learnt and the first words everyone wants to know - are the dirty ones!!_

Same same in learning almost every language, Mama. I haven't yet got to them in the Japanese dictionary, but I bet they are there! I'll find them when I need them - but at 60, I need other words much more!