I wonder how much cash a resort loses every day in conditions like this. Like, how much did H47 make last year in the period up until now (and until they open). Must give the management a headache and sleepless nights.

Hey, I think I'll ask 'em that!

I heard when H47 took the gamble and opened early last year they made a ton of profit, like the equivalent of a years earnings. It was certainly ram packed all the time in that period last november.

The numbers to March for last season were in the Hakuba Shimbun in April. It was printed in the form of an Excel spreadsheet complete with "DIV/0!" cells lol.gif . While the numbers were way up early season, I can't see how they could have made one season's money in that time.

The first week they opened, they only charged something like 1200 yen since they only had the middle part open. Once the quad started going it was maybe 3,000 yen. At first, only the Chinese place at the top of the gondola was open, so some of their other income streams would not have been active as well.

IIRC, 47's numbers for February and March were way down.

For Hakuba as a whole, numbers for 2002/3 were given as 102% of 2001/2 through March, with only the early start reversing the general downward trend. The place that did best in relative terms was Sanosaka.

Don't you just love them there DIV/O cells. And they printed that in a paper?! lol.gif Is the Hakuba Shimbun one of these 8 page local works of art then (complete with "Baby Of The Week" and "Pensioner Of The Week", etc)

It's a single sheet of paper, broadsheet size. It's printed in full colour on both sides!

It comes out once a week, only to subscribers I think. I read it sometimes in the library.

Supposedly it's the work of one guy.

I think the DIV/0! cells came from comparing November numbers for last year with the previous years.