Yesterday, I read a thread on SJ about a backcountry trip that went wrong and ended with a guy busting his face and his head. The thread became quite lively and I thought it was interesting to read. It was obvious that there were various levels of experience and attitudes regarding safety among the posters.

Without wanting to go back to that particular thread or incident, do the majority of gaijin backcountry skrs/sbrs have BC experience before coming to Japan or is it something they get into here?

Hi tripitaka,

It is hard to say for sure, as nobody has their riding CV written on the outside of their jacket, but the impression I get is that most of the 'gaijin backcountry skiers/boarders' get into sidecountry / backcountry riding when here.

Of course there are some with a wealth of knowledge or experience from around the world, but they are the minority.

Perhaps the small size of resorts here, the limitted in-bounds avalanche control, the restrictions on inbounds powder riding all contribute to people getting into backcountry riding.

In reference to the previous thread about 'a backcountry trip' that went wrong, it was me that broke my face, and I was probably the only person in that group with a moderate amount of backcountry experience, so it doesn't really matter what people have ridden before, but rather with what mentailty they have done that riding, and to use that experience if you have it, every single time you go, no matter what else is on your mind.