I touched on this topic a bit in a previous post, "Niseko Avalanches", but what I would like to know is where is the best inbounds powder to be found in Niseko? Are they spread all over Hirafu, Higashiyama and Annupuri or more concentrated - are the Miharashi and Rinkan Forests inbounds and are there any bowls inbounds?? Or, is it best to go out of bounds for the best powder?

This will be my first trip to Niseko after having heard and read so much about the awesome powder conditions.

Inbounds meaning allowed or ski patrol swept areas?

The Annupuri bowls are the best, but I do not think they are what you would call inbounds.

What one guy/gal will think is the best I am sure it will be debated? I will give you what I thought to be the most fun for me, which was inbounds, meaning inside the ropes, no need to go to an access control point. Also, this is assuming good snow fall the night or morning before.

Annupuri: Take Gondola up and go out the right side. As you go down the mountain, stay as far left as possible. Nice easy run and usually gets tracked out much later in the day.

Highashiyama: Under the old Gondola that does not operate, there is the start of fresh inbounds powder. It does not seem to get much traffic.

Hirafu: The runs get tracked out quick. I liked Miharashi off to the right of the Gondola, but only if you cut down and into the trees quickly. The Rinkan course can be fun at night, if you stay off the groomed stuff.

Hanazono: I do not like the powder runs here because, I am always ending up into some beginner course like Holiday Run where your speed and be quickly lost if you happen upon a family of skiers/boarders that are blocking the entire path.

I guess there's always room for another 'Niseko' thread. wink.gif Unless you hike to the peak the areas that most people are talking about are all inbounds. The snow is extreme but the terrain is NOT extreme. That aussie family with heated boots and full avie gear for riding strawberries is ridiculous. Even on the peak, avie gear is not necessary for the main routes down, unless you're going off the back side, in which case I imagine you'd also want a guide. I've never done the backside but it sure looks fun.

Like Samui said, the trees on either side of Miharashi are great. You can also overshoot Miharashi and ride the trees down toward the family run. It's a big area. That's in Hirafu. I also like the area around the lift line of the first high speed quad, where there are some steep and interesting fall-lines.

Samui doesn't like Hanazono but I do. Just avoid the middle lift cause it's too flat to ride. Strawberries is on the skiers right of the bottom lift. It's kind of a basin of glades. You can also cross the lift for a dozen fresh turns before cutting back over towards strawberries. -enough to explore for a few runs. Around the top lift, there are some OK trees on the skiers right, but better trees on the left if you walk up around the top of the lift. You'll see a gate. Fun stuff!

Thanks to both of you for the usefull information. Just over a week left before I to will be experiencing the joys of Niseko Powder!

PS: by inbounds I mean ski patrolled and within the ropes. It sounds strange for me to say that as we don't get that here in Europe. It is either on-piste (groomed and patrolled) or off-piste (ungroomed and not patrolled).

Thanks again.

I haven't been there in two years and I'm sure others could give more accurate info but basically, there are gates in front of a lot of areas and even if they are not technically 'patrolled', the patrol assess the danger, etc and open them up when they're safe. I'd call it 'off-piste', inbounds I guess. Obviously not backcountry. Even the peak has a groomed track for hikers as well as a gate.

Probably doesn't need mentioning, but don't enter closed areas because that just causes problems and danger for everyone.

If you wander up to a gate (opening in the ropes) there will be a sign incidating the cost of rescue and informing you that the areas are not swept by Ski Patrol. However, I have been cautioned by Ski Patrol at a couple of the gates to reconsider entering the gate because of the wind conditions and low visibility. The Ski Patrol suggested entering at a lower gate.

Also, I have witnessed Ski Patrol sweeping these areas after they are officially closed. The gates generally close around 2pm.

There are also ungroomed runs on all the slopes that have some nice powder early in the morning.

And on a day like today there will be nice powder there in the afternoon and evening as well!! It is howling out there - visibility is extremely poor and I don't think there has been a break in the snow at all today - unless I missed it while I had lunch!

If this continues over night there will be some delightful runs to be had inbounds tomorrow morning.