Lift from Osaka to Hakuba on 22nd Feb?

Hey all, just wondering if anyone's driving from Osaka to Hakuba on 22nd Feb? Looking at flying in then, happy to share fuel and driving. 2 people need ride. \:\) cheers.

I guess the alternative is get the shink and transfers, i looked it up, seems like that option takes a little over 4hrs. Is that right?

hey Janus, didnt we meet up in Hakuba 3 years ago or so? From what I remember most of the overnight buses depart Umeda (Osaka stn) around 9pm-10pmish. I think closer to 9pm and they leave Kyoto around 10pmish. It might be difficult to get a bus if youre landing that late mate...hopefully somebody who has taken them more recently can help answer that better.

Yeah, dude we did meet up I'm sure.. the year before last. I hit up America for a few weeks last year. Heading back to Japow this year, can get return ticket to Osaka for $680 including tax, OUT OF CONTROL!! \:D hehe.

My other option I guess is to hire a car, and head for Nagano, or even Hakuba. Can you hire a car in Osaka and drop it off in Hakuba or thereabouts? Most of the car hire websites are in Japanese...

so the more I look at it, the more unlikely it seems that we can get from Osaka to Hakuba on the evening of the 22nd. Our flight arrives at Kansai at 8pm.. all the car rental places close at 8pm. The overnight bus leaves Osaka city at 9pm (too early), and the Shink to Nagoya probably doesn't run as late as we need either.

What time to trains stop running in Japan normally? The Shink to Nagoya, transfer to Matsumoto, then transfer to Hakuba seems like the best option to me.

Pray for snow \:\)

Originally Posted By: janus77
so the more I look at it, the more unlikely it seems that we can get from Osaka to Hakuba on the evening of the 22nd. Our flight arrives at Kansai at 8pm.. all the car rental places close at 8pm. The overnight bus leaves Osaka city at 9pm (too early), and the Shink to Nagoya probably doesn't run as late as we need either.

What time to trains stop running in Japan normally? The Shink to Nagoya, transfer to Matsumoto, then transfer to Hakuba seems like the best option to me.

Pray for snow \:\)

This is your best option I think. The bust leaves Shin Osaka around 10 p.m. but you'll have to be pretty efficient to get there.

First train's at 6:05 from Shin-Osaka. You can be in Hak by 11:00. Go to http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/e-norikeyin.html Put in the details and you can work it out.

If you want to leave that night, I reckon you can only get as far as Nagoya.

Have been offered another option. My Uncle and Aunt live in Toyama, they said we can borrow one of their cars, and that there's a direct train service between Osaka and Takaoka/Toyama. This might be the best option, would be great to have transport around Hakuba for the time we're there too.. \:\)

looks like there's some snow coming in this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Janus,

if your flight arrives at 8pm, some rental places will wait for you to pick up the car, even if it's 8:30pm or so. Check out this site,

http://www2.tocoo.jp/?file=rentcar_inbound/main

I will also be visiting Japan Feb 15th (Osaka first) - Mar 1st. I'd be interested in sharing a car with you guys, to minimize the cost, if is suits us all, schedule wise. Hit me up if you wanna discuss it more.

Cheers.

coolboarderguy