Hello folks,

I'm due to fly to Japan this coming Thursday and my first week will be seeing the sights in Tokyo (first sight will be the inside of various snow clothing shops in Jimbocho \:\) ) followed by a week skiing in Furano.

My missus will be after gloves/jacket/pants/helmet and I will be after pretty much the same, minus the gloves. I have some 3 year old Burton pants I bought when I was snowboarding and they have had almost no use (living in the Desert gives few opportunities \:\) ) but which appear to me to be of no use for skiing due to them not having zips on the legs and I'm not convinced they will fit over boots (they just arrived in Dubai via my brother so will be trying them out tonight at Ski Dubai).

Basically, do any of you have any opinions regarding the items were needing? I'm of the opinion that if something is mediocre and costs $100 but a great item can be had for $200 I'd rather pay the $200, however by the same token I also would rather not spend $300 if the $200 stuff is just as good.

From reading reviews the Arcteryx stuff is great, but pricey. I have had no problems with my Burton pants but the new Burton stuff seems a bit poncy for my tastes, no offense to people who like it, I just can't carry off the fashionably colourful/checked look \:\) My Burton gloves are also great, they are Gore-tex with a removable thermal liner (bought same time as the pants). It doesn't really affact me but the missus tends to get cold hands, are there any good brands to look out for? The Black Diamond ones seem to get good reviews and like I told the missus, theyre expensive but so was the holiday and it's pointless not enjoying that because your hands are cold.

With regards to helmets, again any brands that are particularly good? I'm not a big fan of them generally and it took a close shave on my mountain bike to make me start wearing one there. However when i was on a boarding trip to Meribel a few years back some wee nipper took me out (if I was good I could have avoided him but I was only learning myself) by shooting horizontally across a blue from literally nowehere, little sod picked himself up and skid off, I was laying there 5+ minutes winded and swearing at the pain and had a ridge of scar tissue along my right tricep for 4 months afterwards (quite an impresive bruise) so I'm thinking helmet = good \:\) However I'd rather not look like my missus 60 year old mum on her bright blue bike with matching helmet \:\)

Anyway, sorry for waffling and I appreciate any advice anyone has, either for myself or the female persuasion gear \:\)

Oh and one important question, a friend of mine tells me if I wear all black I will look like a ponce. However I like black and my present pants/gloves are black, whats the feeling regarding black jacket as well \:\) Practically speaking if I get a black jacket I can wear it with jeans for knocking about around town, however if it's bright orange I really can't see myself doing that \:\)

As for your helmet I believe all are tested to the same standards (thats how it is in the states) make sure it fits well with the goggles you intend on using. Try both on at the same time and move your head all around to make sure fit and visability is good.

I wouldn't sweat wearing black or worrying about fashion while your on the slopes. Have you seen some of the stuff Japanese wear?

Originally Posted By: OkemoLoon

I wouldn't sweat wearing black or worrying about fashion while your on the slopes. Have you seen some of the stuff Japanese wear?

Check out the garb these dudes are rocking when i was in france last year:

clothingvr2.jpg

I think no matter what you wear there is no chance you will be the sillyest looking on any ski slope in the world.

On a more serious note i have had some great (not overly flashy) jackets/ pants from the following companies:

Sessions - lovely shell jacket - heaps of vents, nice enough to wear about town - fully water proof

DC - bought a DC jacket last year - its snow camo so i get some grief if i wear it to work and also isnt ideal if your lost in snow but great warmth, built in balaclava for those super cold days

Bonfire - probably the best jacket ive ever owned - great features heaps of vents - so good, it got stolen!

In terms of pants, i would recommend:

Special Blend - this years SB stuff is great - they do make crazy tweed and check type patterns but most of the styles are avaliable in plain colours too - i got some black cord pants from them this year and they have a waist snow gaiter system which is excellent - they are cut large so they fit over boots no bother and look decent and they are vent crazy and have a comfy liner.

Ride make good quality simple snow pants too.

Hope this helps, ignore your mate who says all black is bad - youll look like a snow ninja! i think its a banging look - i personally wouldnt go for matching pants and jacket (ala most burton adverts) but thats just me - black and white, thats what i like.
Just look for trusted brands and at least 10k waterproof - you wont go too far wrong.

I think Burton's offshoot company Red make some of the best helmets - i have a budget one and its great, very cosy. some have built in speakers too so you can block out the inevitable nagging you may incur traveling with the mother in law:) hope she doesnt read this!!!

Robert, black is a very good colour for the snow. It helsp the patrol and rescue.

Personally I have red and dark grey. Killy; difficult to get hold of this brand but nice.... . Dark chrome helmet and bronze goggles. White pole and grey skis.

You wanna look good? take these colours.

I've got a Burton AK Down Jacket... its 20g 20mm, so it should keep me nice and warm... I got it off ebay for 230AUD delivered... not bad considering it'd cost AUD500+ at Snowbiz... Its black with white stitched polygons (War Games)

Pants - I've noticed that a lot of the well known brands don't have as high ratings as Burton... I'm looking at getting the Burton field pants, if I can find some in Kanda for a good price..

These are replacing the Columbia pants and Oakley Jacket I got last year. They were ok in the Australian snow... but any rain and you get drenched through..