We want to stay in Osaka for a night after landing at 8pm and then catch a train to Hakuba. Where would be the most convenient spot to find a Hotel??

We are also planning some touring around Osaka for a couple of days, what are some "must see" things there? Where would be a good spot to base ourselves?

Thanks for any suggestions!

JD,

Did that very thing last Jan. We stayed at Il Cuore at Namba, a short walk to JR station Namba and a absolute hoot!

We got a JR West rail pass for 4 days and went to Nara for a day, Himeji to see the castle and to Osaka-Jo (the castle at Osaka). Glad we did it in that order as the Osaka-jo was a great disappointment - just a museum, really! The outside looks impressive but the interior is nothing like authentic.

OTOH, Himeji was purchased by a local businessman when it was listed for demolition (cost him in the order of AUD1.50 - not a misprint - about a buck fifty!). Then he proceded to get the government to pay for the authentic restoration of the casltle and surrounds. Most impressive. Do a tour through if you can - it is magic!

Sorry, JD. I have no idea but would siggest a look at the JR website (just went looking but couldn't find it quickly, I'll suss it out later and post it, unless someone else gets it first)

Found it!! take a look here

There are other JR passes available for different parts of the country, check out this site .

Cheers,

JohnA

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if it's too late but the Westin is close to the main train station, thus convenient for local sightseeing and departure to Hakuba. If you're Umeda/Kita (that's the northern part of town, near Osaka station) check out the Blarney Stone for some cold ones. You'll be able to meet tons of people who can suggest other places for all-night partying if that's you're looking for.

In you are in Minami/Shinsaibashi/Namba (the southern part) a nice place is Coolabah, run by an Aussie ex-pat. Again, people there will be able to direct to all-night clubs if you want to do something more than just down some drinks.

Dude, I think the trains leave from Shin Osaka station, so you should try to get a hotel around there if you're planning on heading to Hakuba the next day. From my research the best train to get leaves a little after 6am. You change trains at Nagoya, and then again at Matsumoto to get the train to Hakuba. Best to be close to the station if you hvae to leave that early. It's about 110000 yen one way.

I'm arriving on 22nd at 8pm, will have to find a hotel too, haven't looked yet, please let me know if you can what you find..

Cheers,

J.

The Oaks hotel is only one subway station away from Shin Osaka station. The subway is the main one here, the Midosuji, allowing frequent service to Umeda and Namba. There are buses from Kansai airport to Shin Osaka, taking about an hour or so to reach the destination.

If you do stay a few days, try to hit Kyoto for a day-trip. It is very beautiful with lots of traditional temples and shrines. Nara is not a bad day trip either, with again quite a few temples in, I feel, a better surrounding (and they're closer to each other, too). But Kyoto has a castle, although not a multi-storied one like Himeji.