I am 190lbs (87kgs), 5ft 11in (not sure cm), 10.5 K2 Boot and ride natural.

My gear for day 1: 162cm Custom Wide (08 Model), Burton Custom Bindings, K2 D.B. T1 Boot, Smith Venue Helmet and Oakley A-Frames.

Started Day 1 at Naeba. First run, I went straight down the hill about 10m, made a heel-side turn, then went for a toe-side turn. I wiped out. Busted my knee a little, but keeping boarding the remainder of the day. Never figured out how to turn on my toe-side. Balance and straight line run, no problem. I felt the board was huge and it was overpowering me.

One week rest for my bummed knee.

My gear for day 2: 157cm Sapient Identity (07 Model), K2 Cinch CTX Bindings, K2 D.B. T1 Boot, Smith Venue Helmet and Oakley A-Frames.

I feel like this board is really flexible and seems very small and easy to handle when just trying to skate to the lift. First run, I manage a few turns on my toe-side. This time I am at Grand Hirafu in Niseko. My second run, I am turning on my toe-side edge with confidence.

Day 3: Same gear as Day 2.

I invest in a private 1on1 lesson. I basically learn the different styles of turning. Dynamic, up-down, etc. The instructors comments how I am doing really well for a beginner. We are going down the advanced runs without great difficult. There are moments, but only at a few sections on the really step inclines.

Day 4: In the morning I have the same gear as Day 2 and Day 3. I was beginning to feel like I was overpowering my board. So, I made an equipment change for the afternoon and night boarding session.

Night Day 4: 162cm Custom Wide, K2 Cinch CTX Bindings, K2 D.B. T1, Smith Venue Helmet and Oakley A-Frames. Stance 18 / -9.

I felt like this setup was perfect. Everything felt natural. The board was not bouncing all over the place. The edges were catching when I wanted them to and were forgiving when I accidentally caught an edge on switch riding.

I am looking forward to Niigata this weekend.

My prior experience was in surfing, ice hockey and skateboarding. I think surfing taught me the balance. Hockey taught me edges and skateboarding taught me confidence to try dumbshit.

For all those beginners like me, do not be afraid to experiment. Also, do not listen to those who say such and such board is too much board for you. It really takes trial and error. You can easily grow out of one board.

Nice writeup mate.

Seems as though you did the right thing in nailing it on a board which allows you to be the master, not the other way round.

For those (like me) on a limited budget with only one board, I think we need to play with setup, and get advice from pro's. Sounds like the tuition payed off for you, as well.

I can say that your sproting history definitely heps. i am relying on my old skills to kick in heh hhe.... wishes....

Good to hear mate, have fun!