Welcome! It is the nearest I can find. The link in that page to the "live weather cams" goes to a map of Hokkaido with a heap of weathercams and is worth a look.

33 sleeps until I get onto the hill at Furano!!

Originally Posted By: JA

33 sleeps until I get onto the hill at Furano!!

Yes, I'm counting it down too. I'll be there after 7 nights ..... really can't estimate how many sleeps that is because I sometimes doze off during the day!
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals. Season's greetings. Just back from Furano. Had a really good time. Weather was great. Got fresh snow every day and good periods of sunshine. Hardly any wind over the whole time I was there. This was totally unexpected. Though the gelande was not too big nor challenging, there weren't too many people. Nearly everyone else from the plane I was on, from HK to Chitose, was going to Niseko or Rusutsu. I heard it was pretty crowded there.

JA, I know you are going soon. When you get there, you can hook up with their local "ski hosts". They are friendly volunteer guides who are happy to show you around the Furano slopes for free. They are easily spotted at the base of both the Kitanomine and Furano areas and they wear a distinctive blue ski jacket with the words Ski Host on them. Most of them are not fluent in English but they can all speak a little bit if you don't know any Japanese.

There are also two "ice-domes" at the base of Kitanomine. These are igloo like huts built from ice where you can go into and relax and have a beer. There are also many great restaurants in town. The best one I recommend is Yamadori. It has delicious Furano beef there. A bit pricy though but worth it.

• 3 weeks later...