I was wondering about the 20,000 yen snowboards that you see on sale at Himaraya. What is the verdict on these boards in terms of their quality, durability and safety? Anybody have any idea how they stand up to any of the recongnized brands and manufacturers? The Salomon boots for 20,000 look pretty flash (for a hobo like me anyway).

Funnily enough, I was in a snowboard shop in Kobe and I saw a Gnu board that has the identical design to my first board back in 1994. As I haven't been in the snow for 10 years, I was bit surprised to see things go full circle in design.

Man,

I bought my Boots for $1 off Ebay, and a 5 yr old Burton for $150, so I won't say anything lol.

Do a google search on the Name of them, there is usually good results, from epinions etc.

Good luck!

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

PS, can I msg U a question about Osaka plz???

TBH Triptaka, I haven't got a name board from one of the big brands, I got mine as a start up deal 2 years ago that included boots and bindings, and although the bindings didn't stand up to a week in France (I then complained and got a much better pair gratis!), the board is fine for someone of my skill level. When I'm a little bit better I'm gonna invest in a decent board, right now I'm happy with what I've got

You can find great stuff at the second hand store. I have found two pro-level boards in almost new condition (they were both about 5 seasons old). One was 2000 yen, and the other 7000.

Those were with bindings, but the bindings were not that great, so i am looking for others. I'm sure you can find them easily, especially if you are in a mid-size city.

The only thing i don't reccommend you chintz on are the boots. Get solid boots that fit your feet well. Crap boots will feel sloppy, you won't be able to control the board, and will contribute to a generally unpleasant time on the snow.

Get boots that fit you well, and that are quality. They don't have to be high-end, but stay away from those big-box store ones with no removable liner.

Back in the day, we were in Sorels with the inner ripped out of a ski boot. I think your advice is good though, decent boots and bindings is the ticket.

My work is near Himaraya so I went over this lunch time. The longest board they have is 161. There seems to be an issue with getting anything over this height, unless you can afford to spend. I know a Kiwi who's leaving at the end of the year and he rides a longer board again.