Hey All.

I am considering bringing over a GPS to track my movements on the slopes.

Is anyone into this?. I know many mountain bikers use them, as many tracks are "single tracks", and very hard to find in the state forest. it's aslo sweet, as some cameras associate GPS data, so you can plot where you took the picture, and associate an image to a map.

really opens up the door for a new level of Geek.

Any thoughts?, I am gonna ask for either a GPS, or maybe a camera with GPS....

Well, since no-one replied, i thought I would post up some finding, in case anyone esle thought of doing the same.

You can get a nice GPS unit, which tracks your location, by aligning with Global Positioning.

Sont has some nice software which allows you to upload your photos (with timestamp) to your computer, and do the same with your GPS unit.

this then "aligns" the two, and allows you to create a google map, with a "hotspot" where you can click the image & view the photo, as well as see the "path" you took.

I am considering getting a Garmin tracker, as it shows you were you are, and has tonnes more features, but I like the simplicty of the Sony unit. Just turn on, and it tracks data.

You can also load this data & photo's to google maps, and see it globally. Flickr also has this feature.

I am gonna use this for myy upcoming hakuba holiday, it's gonna be sweet.

Read more here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camera-accessories/sony-cyber-shot-gps/4505-6447_7-31998807.html

Originally Posted By: Domokun_72dpi
Well, since no-one replied, i thought I would post up some finding, in case anyone esle thought of doing the same.

You can get a nice GPS unit, which tracks your location, by aligning with Global Positioning.
Sont has some nice software which allows you to upload your photos (with timestamp) to your computer, and do the same with your GPS unit.
this then "aligns" the two, and allows you to create a google map, with a "hotspot" where you can click the image & view the photo, as well as see the "path" you took.

I am considering getting a Garmin tracker, as it shows you were you are, and has tonnes more features, but I like the simplicty of the Sony unit. Just turn on, and it tracks data.

You can also load this data & photo's to google maps, and see it globally. Flickr also has this feature.

Read more here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-camera-accessories/sony-cyber-shot-gps/4505-6447_7-31998807.html

it all sounds a bit geeky ;\)

But of course!

it is a great way to take some snaps, and see exactly where you took them on google maps.

You could also add it to your website, say if you run a Hotel (ahem cough cough FT =) You could have a map, and show the location & an image gallery of the local pubs, the Ski lifts etc.

geek by name, geek by nature =)

I own a "lightsaber", what else would you expect heh heh

Really thursday?,

it is awesome for photologging & trails information.

hey Stemik, of course mate, although I have gone to the dark Side. I want to buy my Storm Trooper outfit when I go to Canada (A few guys in the states sell awesome gear).

geez, I really am alienating myself here aren't I? dammit =)

• 3 weeks later...

Research and Development of Semiconductor Laser Gyroscope

that's what we've been doing @my dept,

so this is not mine.

expensive maps for japan...

i thought you can get it for free

@Geographical Survey Institute.