so it's really hot here right now. i was told the other day reached a scorching 37 degrees. now the people in town tell me yamagata is the hottest place in japan. and as a matter of fact, the hottest temperature ever recorded was indeed here in yamagata. the local explanation is that it is because "yamagata is surrounded by mountains and so the valley heats up like a pot yo."

can anyone verify this? or is this just another local crack pot explanation?

Kyoto is pretty similar daver. I enjoyed Ashiya/Kobe more cuz youd get a nice breeze. Breeze around here is null. Sooo hot and sticky recently \:\(

I enjoyed Yamagata but never went too far away from the coast so prolly pretty similar. In fact, there were some decent waves when I was up there cuz a typhoon had just passed by. Move closer to the coast! ;\)

Not hot today. Thursday was miserable. Calling Yamagata the hottest place in Japan is slightly misleading, because it's generally hotter in the south. The highest temperture bit is correct though.

I believe the explanation is correct, also on thurday we had a foehn too.

This came up on here last year if I remember rightly. I think they do in fact have the record, but in general it is not the hottest place in Japan. They have the hottest single day on record, so you get the "it's the hottest place in Japan" line. Average temp record showed otherwise if I remember rightly.