This spyware posing as a program to keep your computer safe. From what I have read it also goes by these names:

WinFixer 2005

WinFixer 2006

ErrorSafe

WinAntiVirus Pro

WinAntiSpyware

SysProtect

System Doctor 2006

From time to time I get popup messages telling me that my system is unsafe & that I need to install it. I click the x to close the window eachtime but that takes me to the Japanese System Doctor homepage and a few system scan type bars appear on the screen. I hope that they are just graphics and that because I clicked the x nothing has installed itself but how do I check? I am wary of installing a spyware scanning & removal tool as they often contain spyware of their own.

Do you use spyware scanners? Are there any which are safe?

I use the trend micro virus buster. Its mainly a virus scan program but also has a spyware detect subroutine that works fine.

How did you close the page after it redirected you to the J page? Did the download dialog window appear?

Download dialog box appeared when I was on photobucket. Closed it using the x in the corner.

it took me to the website so I closed that using the x in the corner too. Then the dialog box popped up again so I x-ed it agian. Norton anti virus flashed up something about it in the corner of my screen but my Japanese is not that good & it came and went so quickly I didn't have time to figure out what it said.

Sounds fishy, you might have accidentally download it. You can check if it is installed or not by the processes that currently run at your computer. Do Ctrl-Alt-Delete > Task Manager > Process and check for a process currently running under the name system_doctor and the like.

If you find something, check the Norton HP for manual removal instructions.

Its a pain in the ass to get rid of the spyware sometimes so good luck.

To prevent similar problems in the future, enable the Internet explorer / firefox etc pop up blocker. Also, next time something pops up and you don’t know how to close it safely don’t press any of the buttons on the window. Right click on the window bar on the windows tool bar and select close. If you cant find it on the windows tool bar, then do Ctrl-Alt-Delete > Task Manager > Applications and close all running applications using the End task option. (don’t forget to save the files you are working on before you do that)

Thanks Tsondaboy.

Checked in Task manager and it doesn't look like it's running so hopefully haven't got it.

I've got the pop-up blocker enabled but this one seems to get through sometimes for some reason.

Cheers for the advice on closing things safely - I'd never thought of doing that.

I use trend micro virus buster as well and it seems to work fine.

I was just reading something about Microsofts service not finding things that attack Windows lol.gif

>>>>>

Microsoft's Live OneCare security software has failed tests which check how well it spots and stops malicious programs designed to attack Windows.

OneCare was the only failure among 17 anti-virus programs tested by the AV Comparatives organisation.

Microsoft's software only spotted 82.4% of the 500,000 viruses that the independent group subjected it to.

The test is the second in less than a month that Microsoft's anti-virus software has failed.