Publications are more or less just as important as having a Masters degree so you'd have to be lucky to find a Uni job without them. The thing is, there are so many minor national journals in Japan that publishing is pretty easy. A lot of very unimpressive research or just plain literature reviews get published so there's really no reason not to have a few publications if you're aspiring to Uni work.

Id say it depends on the Uni as to what they want/expect you to do. Obviously for tenure positions theyd expect that; but, for your basic lecturing position Id say, IMO,it probably doesnt matter if youve published or not. Also, as with anywhere else, its not what you know its who you know. Simple introductions or knowing somebody can land you a sweet job.

Thank you for your replies and insight - and sorry to hijack the thread! :rolleyes:

I haven't come across many research opportunities in the college I currently teach at (outside of Seattle now), but I'll ask around a bit more as the missus and I are getting antsy to return to Japan.

Again, thank you for your help.

Last call for the JALT conference in Kyushu this weekend. If anyone's going, there's going to be a really good 'live' / jam night at night on Saturday night after the JALT reception. I'll be playing (big) guitar in a band called Prince Rupert's Metal. I heard Cane might be in attendance too. And Kintaro's wife. (Just goofing around Kintaro) ;\) ;\) ;\)