I know you can rent keitais at the airport, but they cost a bit. In HK, we have disposable keitai chips which can be easily purchased everywhere at a very low price. If I have a 3G keitai of my own, can I get such chips in Japan and if so can I get them at the airport?

Nop, you cant do that. The J-keitais don’t operate with sim cards but have the number stored in the memory of the phone. Only some phones from Softbank (former Vodafone Japan) operate with sim cards, but they don’t usually rent just a sim card. Also, all of them are locked so you cant take them out of Japan and use them in an other country with a local sim. mad.gif

Lately there are ways to unlock them but it is not considered legal.

If you are a J-resident you can buy a prepaid phone, which is like the prepaid sim card in Europe, but they don’t shell to non residents (you need your alien registration card to buy them). What you can do is to bring your own sim and rent a phone in the airport and use your sim on that. Its not something I recommend you because the roamin service costs a fortune here. Your best option is to just rent a phone at the airport.

Thanks tsondaboy. Since I already have a phone, I don't need to only bring the sim card. I guess maybe I'll just use the roaming service while I'm in Japan. That's gonna be quite expensive.