New species of shark was discovered in Papau, Indonesia. thumbsup.gif

Quote:
The research team from Conservation International, which is based in the US, claim to have found 52 new species, including 24 new species of fish, 20 species of coral and eight species of shrimp.
Full Article here.

Would have been absolutely awsome to be a member of that team. “Above and below water, it’s simply mind-blowing.”

Just goes to show how little we really know about what`s going on down there and why we have to do our best to protect it in order to be able to understand it in the future.

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:

But the area’s biodiversity faces threats – not only from subsistence fishermen who use dynamite and cyanide to net their catches
Spud,
I've been sitting in the line up in a few places well east of Sumbawa and been knocked off my board in shock from near by explosions from pea brained fishermen destroying the reefs by fishing with TNT.

If only they'd think about what happens after the reef is gone...

Indo..unfortunately they don`t need to think what will happen, it has and is allready happening in the worlds seas. About 10% of the worlds corals have allready been destroyed, and I would say that`s a conservative number. A colleague of mine recently came back from a study in the Philipines and over 70% of the coral has been destroyed and of the rest only 5% can be said to be in good condition.

Bill Clinton got it right when he said this:

" Pollution, overfishing, and overuse have put many of our unique reefs at risk. Their disappearance would destroy the habitat of countless species. It would unravel the web of marine life that holds the potential for new chemicals, new medicines, unlocking new mysteries. It would have a devastating effect on the coastal communities from Cairns to Key West, Florida -- communities whose livelihood depends upon the reefs. "

Yet still this happens

dynamite_reef_1.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by farquah:
Yet still this happens
dynamite_reef_1.jpg
Use a F%%&''ing net you pea brained prick!

As long as they don't put a bloody hole in the barrel section at my fav reefs...

Seriously, we tried to educate the villagers/fishermen in almost every place we stayed about the effects of the bombing. was like hitting our heads againt brick walls over and over again.