I'm planning on meeting some friends down there at the end of next week (big swell coming in!). I know you recently did a trip down there and was wondering if you could offer up some advice.

My buddy, who is currently in Ireland, thinks that heading down to Fora would be best while I think sticking around the area north of Lisbon would work out better.

Some considerations; we would need to rent boards. He didn't bring any from the states and I'm not going to lug mine down there. Also, we need to be in Munich on the 20th in the early evening to check in to our hotel. I think this would be easier if we were near Lisbon as Fora has no direct flights to Munich that I can find. However, my friend is concerned that the area around Lisbon (about an hour north actually) will be too busy with the new swell and all of the holiday makers enjoying the end of summer.

Any advice? Thanks!

Hey man, given your constraints, your north of Lisbon plan is the best option. Not only for flights but also for board rental. Between 90 - 120 minutes north of Lisbon you have the towns of Ericeria and the Peniche. Both are surfing Mecca's and both will have board rental. Just north of Lagide in Peniche there are some surf shops that I am pretty sure do rentals. Not sure where they are in Ericeria, but there will be some. If it is a genuinely big swell then go to Ericeria as it has some proper big wave locations, the real deal. Peniche has supertubes - like pipe over sand, but it maxes out at 10 feet, or so I heard. There are a few big wave spots near Eric - try and get Coxos if you can. It is just a few bay north of town.

Not sure about where Fora is, but of yer buddy means Faro the... it isn't even on the proper Atlantic coast. Don't go there for surf, full of Pom beach side resort holiday makers.

Best to research the surf spots before you arrive as well. That way you can find them without effing around too much.

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/Portugal/Central_Ericeira/index.html

I am out for the rest of the weekend, will answer any Q's on Monday

Well, we couldn't get the proper tickets booked to make the trip happen. I spent hours on different online sites trying to make it work but it just wasn't in the cards. I was even checking connections through Rome, Madrid, Paris, Brussels, etc.. Lisbon is a popular destination this weekend me thinks. Instead, we're just going to meet up in Prague like originally planned and then head down to Oktoberfest after that. I could think of worse trips \:D I really was looking forward to surfing, however. I guess I'll have to wait until Christmas when I'm planning to head to Portugal with my neighbors.

Thanks for the tips and advice! One thing I've learned is that even if a trip doesn't pan out, you sure do gather a lot of information about an area by at least trying to plan it! This will make the next time much easier.

PS - it was Faro, not Fora. Sometimes I get dyslexic with the vowels...... ;\)

Too bad, bummer. Like you say, you know the lay of the place now so a trip later will be easier to pull together.

I noticed that my local airport has direct daily flights to Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands. It doesn't quite reach the status of your favourite place (Hawaii), but it is none the less full of serious bone crunchers. All sharp reefs, all big an hollow. I know a guy that lives there and he showed me a few intense videos made by his mates. It was a real eye opener. If you are up for something serious this winter, head down there.

I surfed peniche (portugal) and la santa (canary islands) a couple of years ago. They both have some pretty good waves, but personally i'd recommend france and morroco for this time of the year.

Still prague-munich is a great combination. I did that exact same plan as well, so man, get ready for some beer drinking....