Why don't computers have an OFF switch like everything else? You know, instead of the START > TURN OFF lol.gif thing you have to go through.

I want an off switch. mad.gif (If only so that I can explain it to my dad).

It has, its called 'the plug in the wall.'

But if you just yank the plug out, you will wreck your harddrive sooner rather than later. My laptop required a new harddrive for exactly this reason (wife kept running it on battery and letting the battery run out).

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:
But if you just yank the plug out, you will wreck your harddrive sooner rather than later. My laptop required a new harddrive for exactly this reason (wife kept running it on battery and letting the battery run out).
Ahh, PC plobrem.
  • 3 weeks later...
 Quote:
Quick ShutDown v.2.6 (freeware) - fast Windows shutdown tool allowing to shutdown or reboot Windows with the one mouse click. When Quick ShutDown is running, an accurate miniature icon appears on the taskbar on the end opposite the "Start" button. Quick ShutDown allows you to define your own icon to be displayed. When you click the icon with the left mouse button, it shutdowns or reboots your computer. You can set a keyboard shortcut for any action - shutdown, reboot, hibernate, standby, lock, logoff and media eject. Also, Quick ShutDown can automatically terminate applications if they are not responding and can be used to schedule shutdown or reboot using standard Windows scheduler.
more info

Download it here

Hey Rach, I found this yesterday and tried it its the closest thing to an off switch you will get, its really good, very easy to use Ctrl + Alt + ] and my computer shutsdown or just double click the icon.