G'day,

I am supposed to be meeting up with a mate of mine in Nagoya to visit a mutual friend who is living there. I'll be going on to Hakuba from there, but he will be staying in Nagoya for longer. He was planning on spending a week or more in Nagoya, but I can't imagine staying there for that long. The only other thing he has planned is a weekend in Tokyo.

So, can you please suggest some other things for him to do? He doesn't have much money, so cheap but interesting things are good. He's early-mid 20s and never been to Japan before.

Thanks.

(I've already told him to come to Hakuba for a few days)

As long as the person's willing to bypass places with expensive entrance fees, than yeah it can be done. It just won't be a typical "sightseeing" experience, but rather just walking around cities and towns exploring on your own and interacting with people for your very own "sightseeing" experience. Japan is foreign enough that many Westerners just enjoy those differences without spending lots of money on special locations.

Going to Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo is usually pretty high on a traveller's list of things to do here, and it's free. Same with walking around Disneylandesue Odaiba, exploring Kabukicho, Shibuya (enter the 109 department store and be transported to gyaruland, haha). Anything similar in Nagoya, interesting places for free?