I'm planning on (or am hoping to) take a few British electirical appliances to Japan this year. Mainly just chargers for my shaver, and my pocket PC.

How difficult is it to convert from British plugs and voltages 230V to Japanese plugs and voltages 110V? Any Brits know of a product I can get before I go out? I've found Japan-UK adapters online but no UK-Japan adapters.

I don't really want to start my holiday literally with a BANG! and it will be a bummer if I can't take my stuff out with me.

Edit: Got me phase and triple phase voltages confused shifty.gif

Bonio the voltage in Japan is 110V not 200V!!!

I am not from UK so I cant tell you were to get some adaptors there, but you can find them almost anywhere here in Japan. Try any electric appliances shop in Tokyo like Yodobashi, Big Kamera, Sakuraya and they will have it.

Bonio, I am not sure but in my opinion, I think you had better get some before you leave UK.

Maybe we have some adapters which are for Japanese stuff ( for Japanese electric stuff in foreign usage for Japanese people travelling abroad), but not sure if the opposite case are also easy to get or not.

As tsondaboy says, electric voltage here is around 100-110V. Interesting thing is that I have some LIMA model trains which are made in Italy and I hear electric voltage there in Italy is 220V. When I put the controller at 10 for example, LIMA models run very slower than Japanese models. If this issue works, maybe your shaver works 1/4 speed in Japan??

wakaranai.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
either 50 or 60Hz
I hear Japan is one of unique country which has plural electric cycle like above.
When I tralveled Tohoku in 1977 where it was 50Hz - exacly I was in Naruko - my electric clock went ahead only 50 minutes per hour because it was for 60Hz. I didn't notice why until I found the express train cars on the rail were for 50 Hz.
Nowadays a lot electric stuff can get fixed for both cycle though.

Yeah I think I will have to get a UK-US plug/transformer.

http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm#sinewave

According to this site though, there may be difficulties using US plugs in Japan because the US plugs have one prong slightly larger than the Japanese.

I think that buying a UK-US transformer before I go will be enough, as it is undoubtably quite easy to buy an adapter from US-Japan rather than UK-Japan. Especially as this doesn't require and voltage conversion.

It seems both the US and Japan use either two prongs or three prongs in different areas. The third prong being an earth it serves as extra protection.

I found this product on amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TI46S/qid%3D1133870712/203-5583997-9788734

It states that the plug can handle 240-110V but doesnt work as a transformer. The way I look at it, I think this would serve my purpose.

If I was using something like a hairdryer, with this plug I believe it would only work at half the power it was designed to. This product states that it works as a charger primarily, which is what I really want it for. This I assume is because while it is providing only half the power I would get in the UK, as it is not necessarily using that amount of power for a particular task such as producing heat as in a hairdryer, it will still perform a charge function, which doesnt call for the immediate use of the energy.

I assume it is not possible to damage UK items by overloading them in Japan, as there is a decrease in power. Where as if I were to try and use a Japanese product in the UK, damage would be almost certain, unless I had a step down transformer.

Before you spend money on a transformer, check the specs on the stuff you plan to bring. Look at the embossed information near the input, and it may say 110-240V. If so, you can plug it straight in. Low voltage won't hurt, just make your shaver run slow. Dunno about the pocket PC though.

Right my pocket PC plug says 100-240V input 50-60hrz So I guess that is ok without using a transformer \:\)

I cant find any info for the shaver, but it doesnt actually allow you to use it from mains anyway, so hopefully it should still charge.

I think that is me sorted, thanks for the help \:D

> just make your shaver run slow

... so that instead of shaving the hairs off your chinny-chin-chin, it just gently tugs on them, pulling a piece of skin into the blades, and chomping down on it. Slowly.

Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ocean11:

... so that instead of shaving the hairs off your chinny-chin-chin, it just gently tugs on them, pulling a piece of skin into the blades, and chomping down on it. Slowly.

Been there, done that.
Can you provide us with some picks, before and after this prosses?
You must look really handsom if you shave this way frequently. lol.gif
 Quote:
the day I left the Army in June 1969.
eek.gif

Then subriquet, you must have sung some of Frank Sinatra, Beatles, Peri Como as well as my favorites which are ABBA, Olivia Newton John, Glen Campbell, Jon Dember, Julio Igresias.
;\)

I also still use soap and razor. Electric one makes my skin red after I shave.

I use an electric beard trimmer, but I have it set on the stubble setting. I just hate being clean shaven, makes me face look rubbery :rolleyes:

I am very carefull shaving nowadays, ever since I tried using that pencil sharpener eek.gif

Quote:
Hmm. I haven't had a shave since the day I left the Army in June 1969. I used to use soap and a safety razor. Never tried one of those electric thingies.
eek.gif How old are you soub???

You mast look like ZZ-top by now. lol.gif

zz3.jpg

> I use an electric beard trimmer, but I have it set on the stubble setting. I just hate being clean shaven, makes me face look rubbery

So one assumes you're not getting any regular in and out then?