I'd like to rent/buy a cabin/shack in the Hakuba area this winter, and maybe all year. Anyone have any idea of price/agents etc. to point me in the right direction, find out what options are available.

Try the Sakura fudosan on the corner next to the station.

http://www.sakurafudousan.jp/fudousan/

A guy who runs a business called Edelweiss might be able to help you out. His office is next to Chilly chili. The old woman who sells oyaki in Echoland has some info, too, but don't expect a lot of choice.

If your not going to be there all the time and do it yourself, snow removal could easily cost you two or three hundred thousand yen for the season.

You should be able to get a decent cabin in Misorano or Meitetsu for 30 mill upwards. You can get a s/h prefab house for less than 15 mill, but in many cases the roof won't last. Someone told me that rental log cabins make well over a million a year so unless someone takes a shine to you, that's probably what you'd have to pay to rent one. A market for such rentals does not exist, so it will be case by case.

If you'll make do with an aparto, 45000 a month should get a rented 1LDK with a heated carpark somewhere between the station and Happo Iriguchi. A small 2DK should be around 70,000. Anything bigger for rent will take some finding.

If you're renting all year note that it rains most days in summer even after tsuyu. Other places in Nagano get more sun, more blue skies, and are warmer for longer. Winter aside, Hakuba's maybe not the best place to be in Nagano.

Thanks for the info, NoFakie. Think I'll go up there in a couple of weeks and check it out.

Prices seem very high, is that for land? Have friends here who import canadian cabins for 3 mill upwards. Someone was selling a large shack/cabin in Echoland last year for around 10 mill. 30 mill will get you a 4LDK in the middle of Osaka! (returning 2.5 mill a year!)

You can get a plot for 4 mill, but it's wooded so you've got to get it cleared and put in the foundations, electrics, plumbing, stove etc. Depending on the site, you may have to use tradesmen that the resort area recommends.

3 mill for the materials sounds good though. Probably a lot better than getting what's on offer in Echoland for 10 million.

What do you get for that? How much do they charge to build one?

Not too sure about the building costs. I think the cabin includes basic construction, but don't know about the extras, plumbing, etc. I presume that would be more. The parts are all pre-made before export from Canada, so putting the thing together is pretty simple.

3 mill is just the starting cost for a V. small cabin, but a decent sized one only around 6-7 mill I believe.

Not been in touch with the company owner recently, guess I'll have to look him up, certainly a lot cheaper than the Japanese companies it seems.