Off-topic: Champions League coverage

The beautiful game that had many of us preoccupied back in June is with us once again folks, and I was wondering how to hook up with some UEFA Champions League coverage. Is it only on Wowow? Do they have a non-Japanese commentary? Is the non-Japanese commentary in English when a English/Scottish team is playing? Is there alternate coverage on Sky? If so which is better? etc. etc.

(where's that scouser when you need him?)

icon8.gif

..even back in the UK theres only a small handful of highlights on the normal TV. Need help from ET to get the games ;(

Wizz

I'm not sure about WOWOW cov of the champions league, but if you're wanting to check out some Premier League action without coughing up for PPV or whatever, there's a (fairly) decent highlight program on Sky Sports on a Sunday night late at night. It gives a round up of the action and shows highlights and goals. It's in English too, worth checking out.

wowow is a tv channel. it shows the champions league live (at 3AM). to get it you need a BS dish and a tuner. tuners can be bought seperate or you can get a TV or video that has the tuner built in. this is sometime cheaper than buying a dedicated tuner! i think you are supposed to pay a subscription to, but it is like NHK and you can get away without paying.

If you get a CS tuner and dish you can get Sky Perfect, which is a large group of channels including fox, mtv, bbcworld, and sports channels. Sky shows premiership football live, italian legue, france league, spanish league etc. also the FA Cup and Worthington cup. You can get a CS dish and tuner for about 12000yen, but most cost about 20000yen. then you pay about 5000yen a month for subscription to soccer channels, mtv etc.

thats all i know, please leave me alone now! ;-)

if you need more info look for the skyperfect or wowow websites.

[This message has been edited by bobby12 (edited 03 September 2002).]

Thanks for the advice.

I can get wowow on cable without a dish. Still need to pay and get a decoder tho.

My team Newcastle drew Feyernoord (Ono's team), so we should get good coverage in Japan.

If you've got unmetered Internet or are otherwise prepared to pay for your connection time, you can watch some Premiership highlights here in the Skysports video lounge.

http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1021483,00.html

The broadband clips are high quality and can be downloaded.

For Premier league, local radio commentaries are available for most teams through their websites. Most are free and unashamedly biased (amusingly so in some cases). Some teams even have archives.

Liverpool FC were experimenting with online webcasts two years ago. It doesnt look like its gonna happen this season, but hopefully next year I will just be able to subscribe to liverpools website and watch all the matches through there. you can plug your computer into your telly and watch games like normal.