Anyone else here adopted?

I was adopted when I was a baby and only found out when I was 16. I really went through a period of resentment at first, but not learn to live with it.

Much adoption in Japan? (Not that I would hear but...) haven't heard much about it.

It"s weird you should mention it. I was going to post a poll yesterday regarding this topic after not thinking about it for years, wondering if the expat. community hosted a larger percentage of adoptees than back home...

Oh, yes, adopted soon after birth and (somehow) always new. No surprises, no issues...

I now only think about it when I read/see stories of mothers who give up their children at birth and wonder what the hell happened to them.

I was also adopted, knew about it before I could even really understand what it meant. Must be hard to find out about it later in life.

Adoption was extremely common in NZ around the time I was born, plenty of people I know are adopted.

I don't think it's all that common in Japan.

anyone see the recent friends episode where monica and chandler are talking to another couple about the adoption process? chandler goes to the bathroom and runs into their son and is like, "oh we're talking to your parents about how they adopted you." and he's like, "whaaaat?" pretty funny episode. anyways, some of my cousins were adopted and they always knew. seems like thats the better way to go bc keeping it a secret it just soooo huge and you have the deception and the news to deal with when you find out.

Ocean I assume you're asking me the question-I know because I was always told that I was adopted, or "special" as I recall it being explained to me before I could understand what it really meant. Anyhow it was always very open and talked about in my family-I think that's the best way to deal with it.