Just sorting my car out for the season and need to buy a roof rack this year as got a new car. Can`t afford to go for the THule Box things but need something basically for board and skis. I got given those magnet fixings that just attach to your roof like a magnet on a fridge but don`t trust them at all. Anyone had any experiance with them? What I want are the Yakima pop open things, but they, after looking around, look pretty expensive, 2万円 near me. What is the going rate? Car is an Ipsm witht he rails allready on the car.

P.S Looked in the used shops but nothing yet.

What me and some other friends do is to suspend everything from the roof inside the car.

space1.gif

Just buy 4 long straps from 100 en and tight them well from the handgrips above the doors. After you strap 2, put the boards on them and then pass the other 2 from inside the bindings and strap them tight. That should do the trick.

A new one will cost you around 20,000 yen and you can carry 4 or 6 boards depending on the model. I haven't tried the magnet ones but I think you can only carry 1 board. I wouldn't bother with those. If you can't find anything used and in good condition maybe you should just spend 20,000 yen at autobacs. I got mine there.

tsondaboy, without any experience I think you system is actually quite dangerous.

If you are ever involved in a car accident (God forbid) with your snowboards hanging from the inside of the roof, it's big consequences man.

Tsonda had a rig up like that in my old car for the surf boards but with everyone in the car this time around for the snow season don`t think it would work as i don`t have too much space over head in the Ipsm.

Coldcat- So 2万 is the going rate then? Cheers, looks like thats what it`ll end up being

farquah, does it have rails like this;

toyota_ipsum_front.jpg

If it does, I have a board rack that you might be interested in for the cost of postage and a small consideration. I think it's supposed to hold two boards, but I seem to remember cramming 4 on.