i find the back zipper on my osprey switch 40 to be a little hard to open. also the pocket for my shovel/probe is huge so that the shovel bangs around. That can be solved though by putting more gear in there.

Tsondaboy, I was just checking out the new burton design. All of their AK packs are a new shape but it's just a cosmetic change. They are similar to the Dakine in that they are fine for resort dudes but not very well thought out for bc.

Yes, you just listed two other Osprey issues I have. The shovel pocket is home to a large percentage of the Osprey total capacity. So naturally you load it up to use the space leading to a bloody hassle to get things out once you strap snowboard or snowshoes to the pack as they totally block entry. Because of the roomy exterior shovel pocket, the main compartment is smaller than the main compartment relative to other packs. If you want to fit all your gear in the Osprey then you must use the shovel pocket. And that's just a big hassle.

The not-so-easy-to-use main compartment zipper is a side effect of it being very water proofed with that elastic covering thingy.

I got way too many packs... and I still need a 40L one!

after +200 days of use my Switch 25 is ready to be retired so I've been looking for a new day-pack recently. Here are some specs:

old Switch 25 / M-size / 25 liters / 1.82 kg

new Switch 36 / L-size/ 39.0liters / 1.53 kg

Arc'teryx m40 / tall-size / 38L / 2.2 kg

I went with the new Switch 36 as it was very light and relatively cheap. The Arc'teryx had better construction/materials/board carrying system, but cost a fair bit more. Maybe next time.

Here's what it looks like:

71_143_lg.jpg

You can find more detailed pros/cons from a similar discussion here:

http://talk.splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2534&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Wow, the Switch 36 measures up well in size, weight etc compared to the 25. It seems a relatively better pack than the 25. Also much better for skiers and spitters who don't strap stuff to the back 100% of the time (a reality for snowboarders not riding splits).