Western Canada - Classic Wapta Traverse

I thought I'd post this even though it isn't overseas for me (Wapta/Waptiuk glaciers in Canada), it is a very interesting very cool touring/mountaineering objective. I tried to do this trip 3 years in a row before being successful this past year in April 2013. I led the trip on all 3 years. The first year we encountered sickness en route, the second year we were involved in an avalanche.

First year:

Anyways I'm the skiier in the green pants and this is going up to the first hut, Peyto:

1-1.png

2-1.png

3-1.png

4-1.png

5-1.png

6-1.png

This is the Peyto hut

7-1.png

8-1.png

View from Peyto and getting up onto the glacier to travel to Bow the next day. Evening shots are evening shots.

9-1.png

10-1.png

11-1.png

12-1.png

Cold as balls on the glacier. Our thermometer bottomed out and the last line, significantly before bottoming out, is -35*C. Did I mention the extremely strong winds?

13-1.png

14-1.png

Bow hut and the view from Bow. You can kind of see where we came up this year.

15-1.png

17-2.png

17-1.png

18-1.png

19.png

20.png

21.png

They did some touring and mountaineering while I was sick in the hut. Terrible sickness.

22.png

23.png

24.png

25.png

26.png

27.png

28.png

We played a lot of crib.

29.png

I come to Japan February 1st!

Thanks, I will let my friend know, they are his shots!

Year 2, remote trigger avalanche caught us on final approach to the hut. We escaped burial but didn't feel safe continuing the approach so we packed it in till the following year:

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

my skis

3-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

Jordan

6-2.jpg

Lakes are gay

7-2.jpg

8-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

10-2.jpg

11-2.jpg

In some of the pics it looks warm. It was always ~-25C with gale force winds. COLD!

Its also hard to see in the pics but there are many crevasses with varying snow bridge depths as well as seracs in places. There was actually a serac fall right beside us as we were on our way up the Balfour col. Good route choice is important!

• 2 weeks later...