Hello all. I will be visiting Japan for a few days next weekend (stopover on my way to Thailand) and need some advice as to where I should go skiing for a few days. I will be in Japan from Saturday afternoon until Tuesday evening, flying from Narita, so I think skiing Sunday and Monday would be best..

I think it would be best to stay relatively close to Tokyo, so perhaps Nagano? Please advise if you think a different location would be better. Also, a less expensive resort would be better; I am travelling alone and will need to rent equipment while there (advanced skier).

Thanks very much for your advice.

Peter Zielinski

Berkeley, California

Most resorts are about the same price (unless you start meaning hotels, thats a different story). Rental varies a lot, and you're best renting at places other than the resorts themselves if you want cheaper. You may not get the latest equip, but you might pay 1500 yen rather than 3000 yen for the day.

Enjoy!

OK, I've decided to go to Yuzawa next weekend. Does anyone have suggestions as to where to ski?

There are 7 resorts near my minshuku, and I will be skiing two days, Sunday and Monday. I think it would be best to go to a less-crowded resort on Sunday and then perhaps a larger resort on Monday (when it is less crowded).

Thanks for your advice.