Hi All

I am off to Shiga Kogen on the 2nd Jan and am hoping to find the quieter areas of the resort where there is some good off piste powder runs. Anyone who knows the area please let me know with some detailed directions. If anyone is up there on 2nd or 3rd and wants to meet up to find some powder runs then just let me know.

Joel

Not so much off piste runs at SK, but there are some ungroomed sections at Yakebitai, and plenty of little powder banks and pits to play around with on the side of the runs.

If you are a skiier, you can head up to Yokoteyama, but don't even bother if you're a snowboarder, it's a waste of time.

Although they may not get the mass amounts of Hokkaido, I tend to find that SK understates their depths. I've been there 3 times over the past 4 years, and except 2009 (which was a bad year everywhere), I've always found more powder than the reports/official snowdepths would have you believe. That's ok.. leaves it for us who don't mind making the trek out.

So many good spots up in Shiga but nobody seems to know about them. Ichinose and Terakoya trump it for snowboarding. If you ski there is better still. Spend 20 minutes with a topographical map of those areas and you can't miss the long powder lines with very minimal hiking involved.