Ski where in April? Ontake - Hakuba/Nozawa or Shiga Kogen?

Hi There,

I am planning my Hanami 2012 trip from 4-14 Apr this year. I'd like to ask you guys for advices about my plan, esp. the ski resort places that I could not decide.

I have done my research about where to ski in April time (8-10 Apr), but got struck as so many places. However, I have shortlisted them only to 3 places/areas which are;

• Ontake
  • Hakuba/Nozawa
  • Shiga Kogen

Here is my conditions & requirements;

• Travelling with 4 people: 2 adults, 2 kids (5 & 3 years old). I skied a couple times, not very good but can survive. My wife did only once, surely worse than me :D. My 2 kids, not even ever see/touch snow (we're from tropical country, never snow in Thailand), that's why our real purpose of ski is for them to enjoy seeing/playing snow (that's why I insist to ski in April even though I guess snow quality is not that good).
  • My ski itinerary is
    • 8 Apr: Leave Tokyo to Ski town, arrive around noon, no ski today, just have fun at kid snow play ground.
    • 9 Apr: Ski for the whole morning till 01.00pm (half-day lift ticket). Then go to kid snow play ground again or if enough time, go to other places around the area.
    • 10 Apr: Travel other places around ski town and head to Osaka, arrive late evening.

• Based on #3, out of those 3 places/areas, which one has the best kid snow playground, e.g. kid sled or slope that accommodate kids.
  • As my ski trip start on 8 Apr, should I go for the ski resort that open the last one (early May), so chances are I may experience a better snow condition than the one close in early Apr. Or the snow quality would be the same, at that time, no matter where I go?
  • I am not hard-core skier, so I prefer place that have other interesting places around it. As I know, Ontake is closed to Shirakawa-go & Takayama, Hakuba/Nozawa close to Kiso Valley & Matsumoto Castle, and Shiga Kogen near Monkey Park & Yudanaka/Shibu onsens. Personally, I lean toward Shirakawa-go & Takayama.
  • Based on #1-5, which one you would recommend me to go for? Any resort name in particular?
  • My son, he is 3 years-old, not sure, there is ski equipment for him? Also how much do they charge ski lift to kids?
  • Lastly, it is worth to buy 7 day JR pass? Or just buy point-to-point train ticket? Here is my draft whole trip itinerary:
    • 4-7 Apr: Tokyo Disneyland, Ramen Museum in Yokohama, Doraemon Museum
    • 8-10 Apr: Ski town

• 10-13 Apr: Osaka, Kyoto (use Osaka as base)

• 14 Apr: Fly directly from Osaka back to my home

I know it is a bit long but hope I have provided you guys enough info to help advise me.

Thanks so much in advance,

Rain