I was just looking at Shirakabako Royal Hill's website, and I see they have a chance to demo Alpine boards and boots free on the 22nd and 23rd of Feb. Info below in Japanese. If anybody from afar is interested in going, I may be able to give you a ride up from the railway station. Mail me if you are.

④〔Alpine on Snowdemo〕2月22日(土)~23日(日)

アルパインメーカーによる、アルパインボーダー 398;ためのアルパインのイベント!!

内外のアルパインメーカー14社による大試乗会 391;す。

パノラマゲレンデを会場に、一昨年全日本スノー 508;ード選手権大会SLで使用したコースにポールも設ಾ 2;。

板はもちろんブーツも用意していますので、フリ 540;スタイル系のボーダーの皆さん、アルパインにち ょっとでも興味があればぜひ参加してみては。

参加費無料!さぁ、全員集合!!

AM10:00~PM16:00まで

参加ブランド

F2、GRAY、OGASAKA、SIMS、YONEX、BURTON、R-17ADDICTED、MOSS、BC-STREAM、HOT、HEAD、DEELUXE、G-STYLE、NI DECKER

Ocean,

Actually sounds cool. Unfortunately, already have plans that weekend (bachelor party).

Looks as though most of the top companies will be represented. Some of the Japanese companies put out some real high end stuff.

Give it a shot if you haven't already tried it. May seem a little confined or wierd at first. Once you get the hang of it the edge control is unreal.

Have been addicted to apline stuff since 1988. Nothing like the feeling of leaving ruts in the snow!

Have fun!

Jeez Ocean, that sounds right up my alley. I am dying to try out an Alpine setup. A demo would be the perfect introduction.

I likes to ride fast and slice it up with my edges, to the astonishment of beginner/intermediate skiers lying prone upon the crest of the newfallen groomed hardpack snow...

If I were still in Japan, I would definitely take you up on this kind offer. And bring my full body armor too so there would be no excuses for not committing 100% to each turn!

I hope you go and let us know how it feels when a soft-booter gets hard!

rcain.gif

Disparaging comments about the 'soulessness' of alpine notwithstanding, I think I'll check this out. I thought of you migs when I posted this, but I think you're little too 'afar'.

My only concern about going is whether they'll junbi the big sized boots. I hope they do, because I'd like to try carving a nice deep rut.

BTW, Royal Hill also has a groovy park and X-course.

Details here;

http://royalhill.alpico.co.jp/gelande/snowridepark.shtml

On second thoughts, I don't think I'll be checking this out.

I emailed Royal Hill to ask if large-sized boots would be available. They responded very quickly, with two mails - one to acknowledge and one to reply - kudos to them. Unfortunately they said that the manufacturers won't be providing boots above size 28, although they can be ordered specially for purchase. Again, manufacturers demonstrate their failure to provide for the segment of the market that has slightly bigger feet.

Well, I checked out lots of sites about Alpine riding in anticipation, but it seems it's not worth bothering with after all.