Hey,

I'm a kiwi English teacher living in Kumagaya, Saitama and would love to get up north an hour or so to the mountains in Gunma. Do I buy the stuff before or after Christmas/New Year? And where's the best place in Tokyo? (only an hour away for me)

I've got all my clothes but I need Skis, boots, bindings and poles. I also have large feet (US 14 UK 13) which may pose an issue but and my budget is 100,000 yen. I assume if you get everything at one place they would offer you a small discount? Any ideas would be very helpful.

Cheers

Pete

Loads of shops around the Ochanomizu/Kanda area. You can sometimes get some discount if you buy a few things in one place. Usually, the best deals are in the smaller shops - you should shop around cos there can be quite big differences between shops. Id say you can get stuff cheaper online or on Yahoo auction but you'll probably need a little bit of Japanese ability or a Japanese speaker to help with those. I usually dont see much of a difference before/after Christmas/New year, TBH.

Great information, thanks. Does anybody have large feet like me? Was it a problem acquiring high quality large boots in Japan? I'm not going to buy anything online as I will have to try them on!

Any shoe shop over here just laughs at me :sadface:

hahahaha yep that's about it :lol:

Well I'll head off to Tokyo after Christmas early next week and let ya know how I go, if I've got a couple possibilities i'll ask some more questions on which makes/models are best then go back and get them.

Thanks again :D

My friend had big feet and he got some boots in the Ochanomizu area - I think he got them from the London Sports shop. Im not sure they were quite as big as yours though! Im guessing you might be a bit limited in choice or perhaps you will have to order a pair in specially. Generally I wouldnt buy boots online as you really need them well fitted, but skis, bindings and poles are fine.